Trading Standards

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

A a person who sells top quality products I have to fight all sorts of crap that is put out to the average Joe Soap in the street.

What gets me is the bullshit in a lot of literature that is not backed up by tests done by independent organisations and claims that can't ever be true.

It's so frustrating.

L

Les Clark

I new a bloke who had one of these 1 man rapid erection bivies ,but he was a bit of a tosser.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
It's frustrating, but so are the people who spend the money without checking things out properly.

colsmiff

Reaction score
Ron, I agree.
As someone who does safety testing of chemicals, it is worrying when the latest scare story perpetuated by somebody (often uninformed) is promoted by our countries wonderful Press.
We then have to defend a product against the mass hysteria that then ensues. Who do the public listen to, the industry's Chartered and Registered scientists or some nomark who has read something on the internet and is shouting loudly about cover-ups and vested interests?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Love it Kevin, you certainly brought a smile to my wrinkly old face anyway. All very true as well and the cleavage one must be looking for a new niche in the angling world I should think, I'd buy it anyway, whatever it is! I like to keep abreast of modern gear.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The truth of the matter these days is that for the bigger percentage of purchases you are likely to make, you get what you pay for.

I always view with great suspicion something that is cheap. take for example shoes.

A few years ago for business purposes I purchased three pairs of shoes that cost me only ?18.00 each. I alternated the wearing of these shoes and even then within a year, the uppers had become detached from the soles in EVERY case!

I was totally pissed of of course and about two years ago decided to buy shoes again.

I bought Grensons which are made in England - Northampton to be exact.

These shoes cost me over ?100 a pair. Today these shoes when polished look as good as the day they were purchased and are good for another few years.

So what is the cheapest?

A friend of mine has a 1989 registered Mercedes Benz Diesel. It has done 600,000 miles. Other than normal servicing and fuel, this car has cost him nowt.

He wants to keep it another 16 years.

B

BLAM

What does the barbel society handling code have to say about that cleavage?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

It's got to do with the Barbel Playing Code for women.

Section 8, Clause 4 says that any woman playing a large barbel has to demonstrate a degree of modesty when their pectoral muscles are severly challenge by the power of a big barbel. Special BS bras are available in real tree camo to prevent anything from boiling over.

:eek:)

B

BLAM

Your shoes point is very valid though. It's a false economy buying cheap ones.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Of all items, clothes are the one where buying cheap is false economy.

For example on a lot of cheap outdoor clothes you get manky zips. Check out zips carefully. If it says YKK on the zip it's good.

W

Wolfman Woody

By any chance, does that cleavage happen to belong to one - Amanda?

"Always buy good shoes and a good bed. If you're not in one, then you're in the other." Gloria "Thunderthighs" Honeyford said that.

(To avoid a case of libel, it was Terry Wogan that called her Thunderthighs.)

N

nicholas bray

ron that's strange you said about ykk zips as being good quality as my dad told me the same thing when i was a kid. I was thinking about it yesterday whilst looking at the zip on my fishing coat and thought i must be the only person in the world who thinks about ykk zips. very funny

W

Wolfman Woody

YKK were a Japanese company that set up here back in the 60s, Runcorn in fact, they were once a customer of mine. Their products are second to none and they pride themselves on strict quality control.

I have no financial interest in them now, stopped trading with them about 3 years ago so I owe them nothing. But they are good!

N

nicholas bray

well the things you learn on these forums, seems everybody know loads about ykk zips. lol

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

There is nothing worse than have a zip that jams. Cheap zips jam!!

YKK zips don't.

And shoes for example. I want proper welted English leather. Not shite from the far east. When I buy vests and shirts I want proper cotton - sea island cotton for preference. Such shirts last for bloody years and feel much nicer against you skin than shite from M&S or Asda.

And when I buy knitwear I want pure virgin wool or cashmere, not cheap crappy polyester. Polyester is f....g dangerous anyway, it burns like a torch. Avoid it for your own sake.

And I insist on British woollen cloth put together by English craftsmen when I buy a suit or jacket.

When it comes to clothes, we do make the best in the world you know.

Look for the "Made in England" mark on all the clothes you buy. And if they cannot satisfy this, walk out and look elswhere.

W

Wolfman Woody

He's a right dapper lad is our Ron when he goes out.

Just a shame he lets it all down with that damned hat!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Nowt wrong with me hat. Made in SA, part of the British Commonwealth.