How to catch barbel

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Isn't it interesting that two articles by successful barbel anglers, Neil Wayte and Steve Pope, have almost opposite views on the best way to go about feeding a swim for barbel.

Neil Wayte declares that having watched what happens when you feed hemp he comes to the conclusion that its a pointless exercise and prefers feeding his own way with boilies and pellet.

Then a few pages later Steve Pope declares that he feeds a gallon of hemp into the swim before he starts, to attract and hold the barbel.

I'm not criticising either of them, they've probably forgot more about catching barbel than I will ever know, but I find it fascinating that from experience they both arrive at totally opposite conclusions.

One thing I did pick up on though was the picture sequence of tying a ring on the hair Neil Wayte style. It starts off by saying the ring should sit level with the bend and fig.1 shows this, but by the time the boilie is attached in fig.6 the hair has increased in length to the extent that theres a half inch gap between the bottom of the hook and the boilie. Might be somewhat confusing to a beginner.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Graham, I spotted all that too. Graham Elliot is a brilliant Barbel angler too and he's an advocate of feeding really really small amounts.

I think many approaches can work. Sometimes it depends on the river (many of them respond differently), sometimes the weather can determine the approach and sometimes the fish can be fussy.

Usually though, Barbel are fairly easy to catch and most ways will work.

njb51

Reaction score
"Usually though, Barbel are fairly easy to catch and most ways will work"

Come one Matt, whats the secret?!?!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We have heard it many times. What works one day will not catch you a cold the next day. It's all part of ringing the chnges I think.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Graham,

Yes it is intersting how different, but equally talented anglers have an opposite idea of the best way to fish for barbel.

What you need to take into account though is often the size of the river and the volume of snaller, silver fish present.

Generally Neil is fishing (I think) smaller more intimate rivers whereas Steve makes no secret that the majority of his time is spent on the lower severn - a beast of a river !

Both very good articles though I thought.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I think how pressured the fish are makes a huge difference. How available is their natural food source? What about weather trends.

I don't think there's any subsitute for experience. Of course, I think a bit of intelligence and an analytical brain helps too, but the more time we spend on teh bank teh more we get a feel for what is going to be the best method that day.