The first cast or last?

tesco value

Reaction score
I love the anticipation of the first cast. Though it’s often dampened by swinging my rig clumsily into a tree.

The last cast is usually a more considered affair. After a difficult, blank day it can carry the burden of serious expectation.

Just before the big freeze I spent the day on a cold, clear river Lea in search of a chub with nothing to show.

On my penultimate cast I finally had great bite that I missed. The last cast into the gloomy river resulted in a subtle drop back and contact at last! A perfect three pound fish saw the last cast rewarded.

Of course you only really get one first cast of the day. But I expect most anglers have two, three or more ‘last’ casts!

Which has traditionally been your most successful cast of the day, the first or last?

sagalout

Reaction score
First cast for me, because I tend to go early o'clock and come home late morning/ lunch time when it has all gone quiet.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
First cast as it sets you up for the day ahead.

Last cast if i have had a Pi** Poor day and am ready to go home.

richiekelly

Reaction score
first cast for me if i am after carp,if i am there just for the day i often dont recast until i pack up.

tortoise100

Reaction score
Last cast fish are ones that I seem to remember more but I proberbly cach more on the first cast.
So it's last cast for me.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It must be the first cast...the pure joy of setting out the gear just so,picking up the rod,checking all is where it should be,before dropping the float just over the lilly pads......watching it run forward,cock and settle.....a sprinkle of bait around it and then wait begins again....nothing better for my money..

Last cast....that lovely feeling of 'what a great day its been' and a pleasant tiredness...fish or no,its that great feeling of how lucky to have been on the bank for a few hours...

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Early morning session - first cast is held with most anticipation of what is to become.

Evening session - last last is full of hope or the perfect end to a great day.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Gawd,thats a bit heavy Blanker............could've spoilt my pint of 'best' later tonight....phew!!

richiekelly

Reaction score
Gawd,thats a bit heavy Blanker............could've spoilt my pint of 'best' later tonight....phew!!

sorry about that,it was posted in a mood of desparation after dealing with the nhs about my dads discharge,enjoy your pint.