wobbling a sprat

N

nicholas bray

when wobbling a sprat for pike if you get a take should you strike immediately or should you give a bit of slack wait a few seconds then strike?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I have spent many days wobbling a sprat or even a joey mackerel in my life.

During the 60s, we used to wait for the tap-tap of a taking pike and then give the bait a little slack. Then as the line tightened we used to set the hook.

Never deep hooked a fish using this technique.

N

nicholas bray

Thanks Ron if i'm lucky enough I'll put your advice in to practice tomorrow.

C

Chris Bishop

Twitch it along with the rod held to the side, tip about 3ft off the water and watch the line between twitches. Often this gives the game away, swing the rod towards it to give it a yard or so of slack, pull into it as this tightens or just strike after a couple of seconds with a sprat-sized bait.

N

nicholas bray

Chris thats different to just reeling it in slowly whilst it gently spins through the water, as i didn't catch anything saturday I think i shall give it a try next time thanks mate

Matt Brown

Reaction score
How much do Sprats cost nowadays? (I suppose I ought to go down the fantastic Doncaster Market and find out, but hey... It's too cold).

James Hodkin

Reaction score
2 pound something or other a kilo in scunny morrisons when i filled up the freezer last month, good value i reckon!

N

nicholas bray

i'll have to have a look in morrisons as i payed ?1.20 for 10 and they were nowhere near 1/2 a kilo in weight how many do you get to the kilo.

James have you had much look using them

stuart clough

Reaction score
Hi Nicholas,
I would strike straight away with a sprat, although I tend to go for something bigger for wobbling. Sardines are a bit soft, but 15-20cm herrings are excellent for wobbling, or a similar sized roach or dace where allowed. With baits of this size you can sometimes entice a reluctant pike to have a go when smaller baits don't seem to do it. Some people like to mount the fish with a bent body, so that it spins and twists, but I prefer to mount it straight, with a big single through the head and a treble half way down the flank. This way you can impart whatever type of movement you want with the rod tip.
Also, if you get a follower that refuses to take, it is sometimes worth letting the bait sit on the bottom for a few minutes, as this can tempt them to pick it up.
Hope that's useful.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

A small baitcaster or multiplier is best for this sort of work by the way, although you can get by with a fixed spool reel.

N

nicholas bray

hi stuart

I'm limited on what size bait i can use as i only have a heavy duty spinning rod for the job maximum casting wait 40Grams, how much heavier are the herrings

stuart clough

Reaction score
They are pretty heavy I suppose compared to a sprat, so you would struggle to cast any distance. On rivers the pike are often right under the bank, so you only need to lob it gently, and you can always trot it down under a float and wobble it back.

C

Chris Bishop

Forget using a multiplier, you'll tear the bait off after a couple of casts.

Chunky coarse fish are best, with chub coming in at number one as they have such solid heads, roach second; more easily available. Trout also good.

Two size two or four trebs, top one through both lips - stops bait blowing up with water, which makes them fall apart faster.

Bottom hook in belly near vent, as weight of this hook gives the bait a "keel" so it more or less sits the right way up on the way in.

Two or three swan shot on the trace in deeper water or in a bit of flow.

Tap along as described, watching the line. You sometimes get wrenching takes like lure fishing but a lot of the time you'll see the line twitch before it tightens, they can be very gentle.

Give it a yard or so then nail it. I used to love doing this, going to break ranks and give it a go tomorrow.