P.E.T.A makes the news again

P

Paul Baxter

I have just seen the best bit of news for weeks.
those pr*ts at peta now want to ban kids drinking milk and have handed out loads of cards to children with pictures of sick & ugly characters on them to show what drinking milk can do to them ie; make them spotty, fat,sick,and ugly,it was on this evenings ITN news (prime time) hopefully they have shot themselves in the foot this time and the milk marketing board or what ever they are called now will set it's legal buffs on at them and cost them a fortune and uncover what a danger these people are to us all then may be so called 'stars' like wendy turner will think twice before thay give them there backing.

K

Kevan Farmer

As I pointed out in my article and highlighted on the posters, PETA want to ban the consumption of not only meat but all meat products.

The report is also included in today's - Wednesday 5th September - teletext and ceefax. The Advertising Standards Authority have told them to stop. PETA, in turn, have refused. Let's see what happens when it goes to court. It's worth keeping an eye on this development as it shows how arrogant PETA are. If they can stick their two fingers up at the ASA then it proves that we must not be complacent.

As has been pointed out, PETA have amassed a fortune in assets and have another $20 million coming in every year. They can afford to fight court cases because very little of their 'wealth' is actually spent on animal welfare. According to U.S. tax figures it is equal to 0.1% of their income. That is if they are telling the truth about this amount. With their track record I leave it up to everybody else to decide that.

Kevan

D

Dave Silvers

As mentioned on the news on the radio this morning another one of their supporters is
Paul McCartney.... Oops sorry I meant Sir Paul McCartney, the prat, to give him his full title.

D

David OLoughlin

It came up on morning with Frost when a guest picked it up (female pop star) in the paper review. She was concerned with the message that milk made you fat & it's implications on young girls concerned with weight & eating disorders. She & others agreed irresponsible. I thought excellent news, couldn't have come at a better time. I told the 'boss' & she burst out laughing. What with Englands win & then PETA confirming to the world they are prats "it turned out nice again".

D

David OLoughlin

Then again this was on BBC news web - shows we need to be careful!

Peta 'skins' India's leather workers
By BBC's Sanjeev Srivastava

India's leather workers will suffer because of the boycott in Bombay Indian leather exporters have suffered a major setback after four big US retail chains decided not to buy its goods in protest against the ill-treatment of animals.The boycott by Casual Corner, LL Bean, Timberland and Eddie Bauer follows a sustained campaign by the Indian arm of the US-based animal rights group, People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta).
But Peta itself has been criticised by the head of an Indian animal welfare lobby for paying little regard to the impact its campaign is having on the welfare of humans. It is another blow for India's leather exporters after other global chains like Gap, Liz Claiborne, J.Crew and Marks & Spencer also recently decided against buying Indian leather goods. Sacred cows Cows are venerated by the majority Hindu population in India and several states have made their slaughter illegal. But Peta has documented evidence of cows, buffaloes and calves being transported for days in overcrowded trucks before being slaughtered. Eddie Bauer, LL Bean and Casual Corner have indicated to Peta that they will not buy Indian products made from animal skins and hides, while others like Timberland will not be renewing their existing contracts. The ban will continue until the Indian government takes steps to change the way in which animals are slaughtered and transported, said Jason Baker, India's Peta representative.

PETA 'unthinking'
The boycott has been criticised for harming the leather industry which is already slowing because of global recession. "The leather industry employs more than 2.5 million people and is the second largest employer in the country," said Mohammad Hashim, the former chairman of the Indian Council for Leather Exports and now the head an animal welfare committee. "Sixty percent of the employees are women, many of them the only bread earner in the family. Has Peta thought about what will happen to these millions of people if the industry closes down?" he said. India's share of the global leather market is less than 2%, but it is still a major foreign currency earner, bring in $2bn in the year to March 2001. Misdirected blame It is also unfair to blame the leather exporters alone according to Mr Hashim. "The cattle are cruelly exploited first by the farmer who sells them to the unscrupulous syndicate of transport operators and butchers once the cows are of no use to him," said Mr Hashim. "We do not run these slaughter houses. We just buy leather from the open market. It's for the government to ensure that animals are not killed in a cruel manner," he said. The leather industry has lobbied the government to create laws banning animal cruelty.