Daiwa Amorphous Tournament Tommy Pickering stick float rod

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just had one of the above given to me off a good m8. The rods only been used twice so is like new. It's 13ft 2inches in length. It can be made 13ft by unscrewing the last two inches of cork from the handle and then replacing the screw in end cap. The spliced tip has be fitted fantastically and the whole rod looks and feels pure class to me. Has anyone got any info on it....what year it was produced etc, would be nice to know.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think these were made around the late 80's early 90's. and cost around £300.

Thank's for that Peter. Ther rod is so well finnished off and just so much better than the rods in the shops today, even the high end rods.
I'm looking forward to using it and seeing if it performs as good as it looks :).

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I had a Tommy Pickering very heavy feeder 12ft with two tops. Belting rod and caught many a good fish on it from bream to barbel.

One top was hollow carbon, like a normal rod so you could use it either as a very heavy feeder or even for a bit of float work. The other top have push in quiver tips, good river rod. Brown blank with red whippings eh?

It's pretty much the same rod as the Will Raisin version, when that was produced. All they virtually did was change the name.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows what the mainline rating is for it. It's quite a strong blank but due to the spliced tip I would imagine it would be ok for light hooklengths.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would say 2-3lb mainline maximum. Any bigger diameter lines would probably hinder it's performance.

Thank's again, I was thinking in the same region to be honest. I've never in all my years fishing actually used a propper stick float rod always using a good waggler rod for all my float fishing.
Have you ever used on Peter ? Do you know if they're specifically aimed at silver fish or do you think it will be ok for chub etc ?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
you have a fantastic rod there . Chub should be no problem .

Hopefully i'll get to give it a whirl this week and most likely christen it on a chub. I say christen it as I know it's not caught a fish yet !
I'll be interested to see how it performs in comparison to my normarks and drennan rods.....it's got it's work cut out :).

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Hopefully i'll get to give it a whirl this week and most likely christen it on a chub. I say christen it as I know it's not caught a fish yet !
I'll be interested to see how it performs in comparison to my normarks and drennan rods.....it's got it's work cut out :).

I've got the 14' Tom Pickering Connoisseur Kevlar waggler rod, which is soft enough for light hooklinks (1lb bs or even a bit less) on small fish, but has enough power to handle 4lb straight through at least. I used it back in early November on the Kennet, trotting caster and maggot for roach, dace, chub and whatever else came along. Hooked one hefty barbel towards the end of the day which eventually fell orf when the size 16 hook pulled out, but I had it on for about five minutes and didn't for a moment feel the rod was inadequate. I could have put a fair bit more pressure on than I did, but for that small hook and 3lb hooklength.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've got the 14' Tom Pickering Connoisseur Kevlar waggler rod, which is soft enough for light hooklinks (1lb bs or even a bit less) on small fish, but has enough power to handle 4lb straight through at least. I used it back in early November on the Kennet, trotting caster and maggot for roach, dace, chub and whatever else came along. Hooked one hefty barbel towards the end of the day which eventually fell orf when the size 16 hook pulled out, but I had it on for about five minutes and didn't for a moment feel the rod was inadequate. I could have put a fair bit more pressure on than I did, but for that small hook and 3lb hooklength.

Thank's for the info fred. To be honest I got the rod out and my m8 held the tip and I put a propper bend in it which took quite a lot of pressure so I think it would be ok to use a much heavier mainline than I had imagined. I use 6lb mainline most of the time with all my match/waggler rods and think it would be fine to use with the amorphous. I actually think the lower reccommended line rating is more important to stick to than the higher one as you control the ammount of pressure you put on a rod.
I do use 6lb straight through with a 14ft drennan im9 and have had no prob's catching chub to 4lb plus and carp to 6lb plus.

Last edited: