Shimano Baitrunner bail arm broken....

E

EC

The bail arm on my 'hardly used' Shimano BTRGT6010 is knackered. It opens but won't close when you turn the handle, if I close it manually it can easily be pulled open.

Will I have to send it to away to shimano or will their be someone local able to sort it?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Its probably going to need a spare part Eddie and there are very few tackle shops that carry spares these days so I suspect it will need to go back to Shimano, you never know though you might be lucky.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Their could well be a local tackle shop who has a Mr Fixit who will replace the spring.
But it might be worth considering sending it away and getting it serviced at the same time.

Stapely Water Gardens used to offer a free reel service on Shimano's at this time of year, it might be worth giveing them a ring.

L

Les Clark

Eddie ,if you take it back to the shop they will only wait untill the rep turns up and hand it over to him ,send it back yourself with a polite but firm letter ,you may get a better deal in the end .

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
One alternative open to you Eddie is, if you can establish the part that needs replacing and its not too much hassle, ring Shimano and ask them the send you the spare part. If you have the booklet that usually accompanies the reels the part will be listed in there but I'm sure Shimano would soon establish which one it is if needs be. Saves money on postage as well and would probably be quicker in the long run.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Try Cheshire Angling. (Warrington)
They used to carry a good range of spares, springs etc for reels. And ask for Bob Birchall, or Hellen Dagnall. Bob was pretty good at replacing springs etc.
01925 635486

They close at 12 on Sundays.

PREDATOR

Reaction score
hope this helps if you remove plastic cover on side of bailarm you will see a small galvanised peice that is broken i,ve replaced quit a few of these the parts costs about 30p from shimano just go on the web site and go to parts type you reel in and it will show you exploded view with part no,s etc

just to let you know this is a weak spot on these reels but the new part now has been modified made of stronger stuff and you all so get a small brass bush with the mod kit hope this helps you out if you dont get sorted i have a spare part here to help you out
the reason i found all this info out was i knocked my rod off its rest and the reel / bailarm hit the floor first not very hard but when i picked my rod up and went to tighten my line up my bailarm was stiff in the half open position as though it was locking up / jammed on something and on opening plastic cover found probblem straight away

W

Wolfman Woody

Easy peasy. Done them on Abu and Daiwa. Sounds about right that Ian.

They try to make these things foolproof, but nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious. (Sorry Eddie and Ian)

Blunderer

Reaction score
Shimano area ripoff in this scenario.

I broke the handle of mine and was charged.....wait for it....

?39.95 for new one.

Ripoff.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
You said its hardly used, Eddie!

I which case if you have'nt had it long, then it will still be under warranty!

If you do any repairs yourself, then surely the warranty is void?

Email Shimano here:

Louise.Clayfield@Shimano-eu.com

She will deal with your enquiry.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think he has had it a couple of years Malc but hardly used it.

He could try handlining for them pike though(o

E

EC

Thanks lads,

Ian I'll certainly try that first mate!

Malc, the reel is a good few years old but only comes out about half dozen times a year for carp and the same for pike.

E

EC

It might be a couple of years old but is still very 'low mileage' compared with some of the reels I have. I am a bit disappointed to be honest!