Plaudits

B

Big Rik

Having caught barbel from the Dove and knowing how hard they fight, then hats off to this gent for what is a monster fish from this river.

and now the flip side.......

A known and named fish, from a known stretch, I even know the swim.
How different is this to the Traveller or two tone?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Good Angling.

Taking the tent pegs out and adjusting my red nose as i type. Coming to a river near you......

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
No different at all Rik, which is why, apart from two early visits to the Dove, I've fished the upper Trent. Not because I don't particularly like fishing for named fish when I feel like it, but mainly due to prefering quieter areas even though the fish may be generally smaller. This year there has been an influx of anglers on that stretch due to opening up the membership of the controlling club, including a number from more southern areas that normally fish the Ouse.

But good luck to those who DO like fishing for named and well known fish. That's their business and no one else's providing they're not hurting anyone else or the fish.

And I'll be back on that part of the Dove when it suits me, but maybe just not yet.

W

Probably why its named the Parrot!!!!!!!!

B

Big Rik

yeah I know Graham, just trying to generate discussion.

It seems the sour people who are quick to denegrate people for catching known fish just seem to direct their vitriol at Southern specimens/anglers.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I've got no truk with all that rubbish Rik, if the record fish lives in the river you fish then of course you are going to try for it, so what! You would think reading some threads that they had invented a bait that barred record fish from taking it, stuff and nonsense most of it mixed with a tinge of jealousy.

The Dove fish is a cracker and any sensible angler should be proud of it and for sure its going to get caught again and for sure its going to be named. I just wish it was me that caught it, I'd be as proud as punch of a fish like that.

B

Bully

I think its an ugly fish personally.

Lets face it, while there may be some rivers that will throw up a few unamed big fish, most big fish areas are well known, and if someone wants to catch big barbel then they will target known stretches. With carp fishing its even "worse" because the fishery managers buy and stock big fish, so you know they are there in the first place!

Whenever/whereever I fish I just blank it from my mind and always pretend I am the first person to have ever caught the fish.

Each to their own I say. One thing I would never ever say is "oh, I caught that one last week" and spoil someone's enjoyment.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's been said many times before but the majority of us are catching the same fish that ourselves or someone else has caught. It's just that most times the fish doesn't have distinguishing marks/scaling patterns that we recognise.

The thing to remember is that if deliberately targeting known fish is not for us, it isn't wrong if it gives a thrill to someone else.

B

Big Rik

just wondered what the Yorkshire chub anglers who wanted Adams Mill closed down feel about this known big fish being caught again.

W

"I played it I caught a glimpse of it and recognized it to be the fish they call The Parrot"

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Yes, a recapture, but not caught any more often than any other fish on the stretch, just more notice taken of it because it happens to be the biggest fish along there. Like The Traveller on the Ouse, which has a hell of a lot more notice taken of it because it usually breaks the national record rather than just a river record.

W

That last post i did was in noway having a dig just incase anybody is thinking it was. I was just highlighting some text from the article for Graham Whatmore.

B

Big Rik

doesn't want to jeapordise a Dove book, in case he loses his Adams ticket.

W

lol, good call.

Finking about it i dont bloody have an Adams book.