River ryton

rother

Reaction score
Has anyone fished this small river inbetween roache abbey and oldcoats? wany info?

dezza

Reaction score
In my early teens and up to 1965 or so I spent a great deal of time on the River Ryton, mainly in the Blyth area and down to where it joined the Idle. In those days it was a little gem and held good chub and roach, although they didn't reach any great size.

The biggest chub I ever caught from there would hardly make 4 lbs and I don't think I ever had a roach over 1 1/2 lbs.

But what made the Ryton so special for a short period amongst a few of it's enthusiasts were the dace. They went to well over the pound mark. I caught one of 1 lb 4oz on long trotted redworm ca 1959. Tag Barnes caught many over 12 oz but I don't ever recall him getting a pounder.

John Ledger also loved this little river but I think he missed the explosion of big dace that took place in the 1955 to 1962 period.

Today there is little I can tell you. The Ryton, has probably been "cormoranted and ottered out" if you ask me to say nothing of bore hole abstraction. It's flow looks only to be a fraction of what it was.

Maybe there are others who might be able to tell a better story.

Last edited:

rother

Reaction score
Yeah that is me mate, i will have a wonder down there one day with some worms. See if there is anything lurking in there these days. Thanks

flightliner

Reaction score
Rother, dont fish it myself but a friend does, he fishes it on an infrequent basis above Blyth. He tells me that the Dace are there, not many but nice all the same.

andygrey

Reaction score
Runs through my dads back garden! Never fished it but keep on meaning to give it a try.

Andy

rother

Reaction score
Also my brother was doing some mole catching for a guy in stone on the other side of maltby passed roache abbey and he had a river running through his back garden, and told them there was fish in it. Im not sure wehter it was the ryton though it coul;d have been then river roach.

dezza

Reaction score
Also my brother was doing some mole catching for a guy in stone on the other side of maltby passed roache abbey and he had a river running through his back garden, and told them there was fish in it. Im not sure wehter it was the ryton though it coul;d have been then river roach.

The tiny stream that flows near Roche Abbey is the River Roche. Years ago it was polluted with mining effluent. I don't think I ever fished it.

I haven't been to Roche Abbey in years - not since my school days. I went there on a school outing ca 1954. There use to be the remnants of a monastary stew pond there that supposedly held genuine wild carp.

There is also the story of a Dreaded Black Monk who floats between the ruined walls and Norman arches of the abbey

;)

flightliner

Reaction score
The monks of roche abbey used to travel to Todwick and took pack mules or horses. On their way they went across Brampton and across farmland to what is now the top of Hardwick lane, there you will find a largish pond that they used to place wicker fish traps in and they would inspect them when passing to see if any fish were presant. The margins of the pond have large pillow shaped stones around them -- these same stones can be found along the footpath that goes towards Brampton.-- Locally its known as the monks path.The pond has always contained wild carp- not big but lovely things to see.

dezza

Reaction score
I have fished Hardwick Pond on a couple of occasions many years ago. I used to go there on my scooter from Woodhouse.

It contained small roach, stacks of gudgeon and a few fish that fought remarkably well for their size. I learned that these were "wild" carp??

I am not sure what a wild carp is. Leather and mirror carp were selectively evolved by man for food. However if left to their own devices, mirror and leather carp gradually revert back to the wild or common form of scaling. This can be seen in countries such as Canada, Southern Africa and Australia.

flightliner

Reaction score
The aussies use bow and arrows on them,the monks ate them, in Canada my mate had one over ferty pounds and he was pestered by local chinese to sell it for food, they thought he was mad to reduse. Is it us Brits that are out of step????(lol)