Garlic

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I think garlic is the best bait additive I ever found. It really seems to work on just about all fish. I have never yet tried it for predators but I have seen a couple of anglers catch pike on garlic-laced baits intended for barbel. Is it the taste or the oil-slick it puts out?
Would onion also work?

matthew barter

Reaction score
I'm not sure Geoff, I think it works like betaine. I used to rub my hooks on raw garlic??? I did actually think I caught more tench by doing this but I have not got any evidence to back this up.

When I used to work in bars and restaurants one of the managers I worked for would send me around with a portion of garlic bread. When no one had claimed it I would just give it to a group of people. In the next ten minutes we would take loads of orders for garlic bread. I think it just gives you an appetite without conciously realising.

noknot

Reaction score
Yes indeed it's a great additive! Works well when added to freshly boiled Maize after boiling, just crush the Garlic and add to the still hot water and leave to soak.

I also use Garlic flavoured Sess oil in my boilie mix, and as a glug for hookbaits, Carp and Cats love the stuff! ;)

red creel

Reaction score
I have been adding garlic salt to liquidised bread for some time now,of course its hard to say if it makes a difference but it certainly gives me confidence which in by book is just as important as location and tactics.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I always thought a fish attractant needed to be natural and shunned garlic, as well as other things, because they didn't seem a natural part of a fishes diet.

Then I tried some ready-made garlic pellets a year or so back. They were so good that I often add a squirt of garlic puree to pellets that I am soaking for the next session.

Other additives work sometimes and not others, like Thai prawn paste or curry powder, but garlic always seems to work

Interesting anecdote about the garlic bread :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Often thought about using it but like IC thought it might put the fish off-with me,purely because it is so strong in smell and taste......obviously I was wrong-again!

Must give it a try this season.........................but can anyone advise if it is better to prebait with it or does it just work straight away(if its going to work at all!)-generally speaking.
I would want to try foor some big old carp with it...

Any advice welcome!

quickcedo

Reaction score
Often thought about using it but like IC thought it might put the fish off-with me,purely because it is so strong in smell and taste......obviously I was wrong-again!

Must give it a try this season.........................but can anyone advise if it is better to prebait with it or does it just work straight away(if its going to work at all!)-generally speaking.
I would want to try foor some big old carp with it...

Any advice welcome!

No pre baiting required. A top top additive which is not pushed so much by the bait companies coz it's so easy to get hold of.
They of course prefere to add things which you and me find more dificult to get hold of.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A tin or two of truncheon meat, cubed and left to marinade in the contents of a jar of Rajah garlic puree / paste in a glass bowl (clingfilm covered and sealed) in the fridge for a few days, then no-fat fried over a low heat to firm up: caught me the odd barb before I moved on from meat some years ago.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Interesting stuff garlic.

Put a small piece in your shoe under your heel, within about ½ hour, your breath will smell of garlic.

It will permeate an eggshell and flavour the egg with garlic.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Is that true Jeff??

I know it is actually carried around the body in the red blood cells, which is why taking breath freshening mints doesn't help with 'garlic breath'...unless you can get 'em in your lungs!

I'm convinced garlic reduces mozzie bites too...you can smell it in farm animal salt-lick buckets and it's claimed to reduce insect bites for the stock too!

PS. I like the quotation Jeff, though BB didn't actually write it, but copied it for some of his books.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Interesting stuff garlic.

Put a small piece in your shoe under your heel, within about ½ hour, your breath will smell of garlic.

It will permeate an eggshell and flavour the egg with garlic.

What must your shoes smell like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet you could clear a room when you take them off.

I had a woman in my cab on Sunday who smelt very strongly of fish, I just hope she had a kipper in her pocket.

mikewilson

Reaction score
Indifferent Crucian

Your quite right. BB [Denys Watkins Pitchford] didn't write what is commonly associated with him and his books. He found the prose [?] engraved on a tombstone [I think in Shropshire] and was so taken with it used it in all his shooting and fishing books. Give me time and I'll try to elaborate.

Mike

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

Found it.

It was on a memorial wall for Alexander Morton 1844-1924 located in Darvel, East Ayreshire, Scotland, erected in 1927 and use by BB from 1939 onwards.

"The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shape of things, their colours, lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also whilst life lasts".

Mike

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I was told of garlic by an angler who said it was great for carp so I cubed up some lunchen meat put it in a bag with crushed garlic and never caught a fish on it - haven't tried it agian

how do you prepare your -I'll try again now:confused:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
if you can find Stinky Garlic spam in your supermarket (and I'll bet you can't) buy every tin!

Yorkshire Baits do a soft garlic pellet which is red hot too.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Another fact about Garlic........

If your friends are always making fun of your size, eat 10 raw Garlic cloves each mealtime, you won't lose any weight, but you'll certainly look smaller from 200 yards away !!!.