Trouble Splitting Hemp

W

Wolfman Woody

A friend gave me some large hemp that could be 5 years old.

I'm having the devil's own job of getting it to split. Does it go off at all?

Doing the usual thing. Soak for 24 hours, boil for 30 mins. Usually does the trick.

F

Fred Bonney

I think it could go off Jeff,it's a live seed and must dry out internally in time.

W

Wolfman Woody

I'll try some in my pestle and mortar, Fred.

Good idea!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Jeff,

I have had some old stuff and funnily enough it split better when I didn't pre-soak. Worth a try?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This has been asked in the past.
The conclusion was that there are different grades of hemp that are near on impossible to split.

Your friend might be offloading his rubbish on to you Woody (o
But probably not.

P

Paul Christie 2

It may not be the age of it at all.

I've had a couple of duff batch's of hemp over the past year or so, that I'd only just bought, so it was fresh (assuming the feed merchants hadn't had it for years).

It doesn't seem to matter how long you soak it or how long you cook it, it doesn't split.

I've used it as normal and can't say for sure it's had any detrimental effect? (probably blanked with and without it).

N

nicholas bray

I've bought duff hemp but have managed to get some of it to split after putting it into one of those old fashion giant sospans with two handles put way too much water in and simmered it for about 6 hours it did split eventually

W

Wolfman Woody

Looks like you're right Fred.

Some kernels look fine, but they're in the minority. Most look like dried up empty shells.

Yet I have done some in the summer and it split well then. It's in the garage along with lots of other seeds.

Looks lik the birdies are going to cop for it, unless it gives them wind of course.

L

Les Clark

You tightwad Woody ,2nd hand hemp,what`s next, maggot skins ?

J

jason fisher

crush em up in a pestle and mortar like fred says then all the empty shells you can throw in the bin abd boil all the good ones.

P

Phil Hackett HC/PCPL with Pride

I'm surprised that no one has suggested using Baking Soda - Bicarbonate of Soda NaHC03 added to the soak water for splitting hemp. This was a well-known Northern match anglers trick. The bicarb softens the shells of all seeds and pulses.

One of the possible reasons for duff batches may well be that hemp seed is irradiated to stop it germinating and being grown for illicit purposes.........Hey Man!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"The bicarb softens the shells of all seeds and pulses."
Any idea how, Phil?
I'd only ever heard of bicarb being used to darken the seed; this could change a lot - sunflower seeds and conditioner mix spring to mind...
If a weak alkali softens them, would an acid (vinegar) usefully toughen the skin of tares? Little doors are opening and lights coming on all over mi brain, maaan...

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry, Phil, I do that as well.

Bicarb does soften the shell, Alan. You see Phil is from Mankyland like me'sen and up theer wi use bicarb to soften t'green an' t'black peas so's they turn into a nice mush.

We used to soak conkers in t'vinegar.

Surprising what you learn off t'internet.

I'll have another bash but soak it for 48 hours. See if that helps.

P

Phil Hackett HC/PCPL with Pride

Alan I really don?t know why!
But here?s a wild guess, it reacts with the enzyme(s) in the shell make up?

Jeff try doubling the quantity you usually use. But for god?s sake don?t do it in pressure cooker. Else flying saucers will be seen flying over the Home Counties :0)

W

Wolfman Woody

Bought a fresh sack today.

MEGA hemp! Boy is it big. Like black peas.

?18 for 15 kilos, bit pricey. It's dearer to feed the fish than it is to feed the dog.