Barbel in Winter

njb51

Reaction score
Can barbel be caught when it is this cold? I've never really given them a try before in the winter but was thinking about it this time round.

When they finally open at least some of the gates on the Thames and there is some water pushing through, do you reckon it will be worth a go?

B

Bully

Jonny - personally I completely avoid cold spells and especially meltwater times.

Wet and windy with colour pushing through the river is best.

........I just wish I had time to go these days!

F

Fred Bonney

There is a common thought,that Barbel do not feed below a certain temparature.
My brain has given up on me at the moment,but I think a water temp of below 41F,makes life a bit difficult.

Steve Pope 2

Reaction score
Hi Fred,

If the temp. hits 41 on the up after a prolonged cold spell get out there with a maggot feeder, if you can find them you'll catch plenty!

F

Fred Bonney

Looks like tomorrow should be worth a try then,Steve.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
One winter I set out to do nothing but fish for barbel in all conditions, just to see what was possible. On the Severn anyway, but it won't be much different on any river.

I caught barbel with cat-ice in the margins, snow over the ground, low water and flood water. It didn't matter. But we also had our fair share of blanks.

The one very significant factor was that the temperature trend had to be upwards. Snow was okay as long as it wasn't melting fast into the river. Ice was fine if it was 'warmer' ice than had been around previously.

If that temperature was rising you were in with a chance. The further it was over 40F the better the chance. Over 44F gave you an excellent chance. And if a sudden rise coincided with floodwater then it was a case of 'fill yer boots'!

B

BLAM

Over the last week or so I've been out piking on a local river several times. The end tackle (including wire trace) comprised a heavy jointed plug which was inched back toward me every few mins but keeping one hand on the line near the reel so I was almost touch legering.

Yes I caught a few pike (mostly jacks) and one perch but what surprised me was the 2 barbel that grabbed the plug -hooked cleanly inside the mouth it has to be said.

I stopped after the second one as I don't much like extracting trebles from a fish with soft skin in its mouth and turned to deadbaiting instead after which no more Barbel were caught but was that mainly due to the static bait?

The temperatures were not text-book to say the least and the river was low and exceedingly clear on each occasion. I wouldn't have expected to catch Barbel but I'm wondering if it was because I don't present something that they want when it is cold? Whereas if it (the bait) moves then instinct takes over.

F

Fred Bonney

Brad,that's interesting Barbel taking plugs.
I just wonder,is it a common occurance,do you know?

B

BLAM

I've no idea at all. I only got a permit to fish this river this season and didn't get a chance to go (piking) before this week. I only posted because I wondered whether anyone else caught them in a similar way.

Almost the only way to find out is to go several more times in similar conditions (which would be quite easy during the next cold snap). However I'm not too keen on treble hooking Barbel even if it is in the mouth.

BTW the plug I used was one of those "looks like a '70s glam rocker" jobs with feathers and tinsel everywhere. Not quite what I thought Mr Boris would have liked.

E

EC

Graham when you say you fished the Severn through winter, roughly which area/s were you fishing?

E

EC

The reason I ask is that I have often struggled for barbel on the upper river, above shrewsbury!

eric walker

Reaction score
barbel can be caught in freezing conditions and when tthe temp is falling. the trouble is that they feed less and the only way you catch them is to be out . its no use saying you cant catch them if the temp is below 4 or 5 c .you may only catch 1 or 2 but i find that they are usually the better fish. i ve caught fish just below 3 c and my net frozen to the bank . last year i had an afternoon where i caught 9 barbs the water temp was 3 c and falling and yes i had witnesses and they were astounded as they only brought piking gear and they blanked . you also need to look at the baits you use and the ammount of feed introduced to the swim. and also that day the water was gin clear although up a couple of foot.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Eddie C: "Graham when you say you fished the Severn through winter, roughly which area/s were you fishing?"

Below Atcham Bridge, from the gravel below the car park and various swims for about 4 fields down, and a few times at Monkmoor.

F

Fred Bonney

Eric,would you care to expand on your comment further ,for the benefit of this thread?
"you also need to look at the baits you use and the ammount of feed introduced to the swim"

E

EC

Cheers Graham, had you said it was above Shrewsbury I would have been pinning your pictures on my wall mate!

B

Bully

Graham - I understand the rising temp bit, but do you have any preference as to whether the river is rising or falling?

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
Blam,

Barbel can be caught on fly gear with haevy czech style nymphs and small lures. In fact the Poles and Czechs deliberately fish for them with their nymphs, prefering to catch them over Trout. I've had a few Barbel over the years on the nymph but more by accident than design, biggest going 3lb. Still any bigger and I think it would have been a brown trouser affair as the rod was a very light 7ft Brook rod and AFTM3 line with a weighted( more than usual) PTN. I really believe it is the slow bottom presentation that gets them. By the way Peter Stone and his cronies used to catch Barbel on live and dead Minnows, presented still and on the bottom. It's this sort of odd occurance that makes me realise just how fascinating fishing can be and that I will never know it all.

eric walker

Reaction score
fred personally i feed intially with 2 or 3 large sausage size drops of feed in a mesh. the bait i used will be soaked with my own ingrediant . i dont feed again . the bait i use will be soaked the day before in oils and flavours . that i have found to be best in freezing conditions i have one bait that seems very good in freezing condition . it is a paste mix but i add a syrup to it its strong and sweet they seem to like it . in fact they somtimes go crazy. but in warmer condition for some reason it don work the same and pellet works better. thereason i said the ammount of feed. i have watched guys go out in these conditions and fish just like they do when they fishing in summer . either swim feeding dropping loads of hemp etc in . the baits used in general i e pellets and boilies i find usless in the cold conditions . the bait should be releasing its odour more easiley . i have found that curry stuff and all that dont work . i m trying hard not to give my secret bait away . you may find that selfish but i do a lot of experimenting with baits these days. and it does pay off . i would just say to anyone dont be put off by adding what ever to your mix