Barbel Keepnet or Retention System

• Thread starter Big Swordsy :O)
  • Start date
B

Big Swordsy :O)

I'd love to talk but Peter Wheat, Steve Pope and Fred Crouch are banging on me door...and they've got shotguns!

I'm off...........Seee-yawl later!

:O)

F

Fred Bonney

Looks good Lee,a great deal of thought has gone into this design.

Steve Pope 2

Reaction score
Hi Lee,

Will be catching up with Fred early saturday morning, I'll let him look at your design on the drive up to Worcester.
Catching up with a few more barbel nuts later in the day including Pete Reading, will let you have some feedback on monday.

All the best,

Steve.

B

BLAM

Lee is turning into Frank Warwick in terms of becoming Mr Innovation! Lots to think about here but one early thought I had was that maximising flow throughput might require the "windows" to be on three sides of the keepnet "neck". Otherwise I can't see how (with matchmen liking to sit directly above the net) would necessarily position it to suit anything other than their ease of use. Moreover if a second keep net was needed it would seem even more difficult maintain even good flow rates with any sort of like system.

F

Fred Bonney

FG 'rabid ones'? who or what they?
Can't see reference anywhere else,so it must be your phrase.

E

EC

A good starting point Swordsy lad!

Are we thinking that matchmen would use it in place of their usual net, or would it be solely for the barbel/river angler?

CAT

Reaction score
Concept keep nets, I like it, what you going to have as your sales slogan?

Concept keep Nets, by lee Swords
"A Cut Above the Rest"

Good luck, nice idea.

B

Steve,
I hope you and the lads have a good time at worcester.

I know the whole barbel/keepnet thing is an ethical minefield for the barbel society but I hope to see a day when our river systems are host to a lot more matches than they are now and a good quality keepnet designed for "ALL" river fish and not just barbel is essential. What I have put onto paper is simply the beginning, we can make things better and that is our weapon against the anti's.

Another point would be that if some manufacturer would like to produce this keepnet, I would insist on a handling code label being stitched into the rim of the net. So that in future anyone who owns a "Swords carbel concept" keep net has no excuse to not know how to handle a fish of what ever species.

all the best

Lee

matt

Reaction score
Glad to see someone being realistic instead of sticking their heads in the sand and pretending they can stop people using keepnets.

What if the banksticks at the front had a slat between them therefore keeping the optimum shape of the Scaloped front open to the flow and if the slat was positioned so that you could use your foot to press the points of the banksticks into potentialy hard river beds this could aid stability ?

F

Fred Bonney

Hear hear,that man.
Bit worried about standing on banksticks in the river, though!

B

Billy boy Smiffy

all fine and well swordsey ,but have u put any thought into how you are going to stop dorsal and pectoral fins of barbel snagging in mesh?that 2 me is a major consideration, as regardless of how well you design a net with water flow in mind, if barbel goes into net and snags fins whilst facing in opposite way to flow and water is getting forced over fish from behind surely suffocation would result?how many matchmen out-there want,or would go to the trouble or inconvenience of checking on fish part way through a 5 hour match?

B

Most snagging of fins I have ever seen have been in the main body of the net rather than the neck and have been caused by 2 major factors

1 The net is badly positioned

2 The fish have been rolled down the entire length of the net for weighing in instead of being swam down

In 15 years of using a keepnet for barbel and having retained somewhere in the region of 1500 fish I have NEVER snagged a fin once.

that cannot be luck

Also when barbel are in a keep net if you clip a sack over the top of the net they will hold in the shaded area and as this net is produced with heavy or even double thickness mess (PJ) the main body will be very dark and promote a calming effect amongst the fish(es)

but as you say will match anglers take the time or make an effort?

they would if the matches were properly stewarded and infringments meant disqualification.

B

Billy boy Smiffy

okay lee i agree with u on above points,but its not just a case of doing the above is it?its a case of getting the un-educated masses to follow your lead and take the time to ensure that ther fish are sat safely and calmely in a good flow of COOL river water in a shaded part of keepnet. and as we both no,the day a matchman puts fish welfare over getting his line back in water a.s.a.p is the day i will bend over backwards and lick my own testicles!!also if matchmen were to radicaly review the way they treat there fish at the netting stage , what about the way the fish are tret at weigh-in?also after weigh-in when fish are un-seramoniously dumped/poured back into river without a thought for there welfare? admittedly its not all match anglers but from my own observations it appears to be a VERY large minority of them that treat fish in this manner.

B

Billy boy Smiffy

oops, should have said''majority'' not ''minority'', apologys for sounding un-educated,should have spent more time at school instead of fishing!![NOT]!