Unhooking Mats

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
I caught a glimpse of Screaming Reels this morning and dear old Nick Fisher was fishing for gudgeon with Chris Yates. Eventually they caught one,

"How big do you think it is, Chris?"

"It's a good one, maybe an ounce and a half. It's just like a little barbel"

"Better get the unhooking mat then."

I smiled. And then I thought, at what point does all this become preposterous. Clearly Nick was jesting; who in their right mind would use an unhooking mat for a gudgeon?

But what if it had been a barbel?

Is there a certain size at which a barbel becomes hallowed and we all must place it carefully on a mat?

And if a bream reaches the same size does it deserve any less? Or a chub, an eel, a roach?

E

EC

They are all worthy of the same respect as has been posted many times Bob.

I don't think it is a question of 'worth' more a question of size!

Small fish, of whatever species can be swung to hand, and held safely whilst being unhooked. Larger fish are more awkward, when they thrash about there is more scope for them to damage themsleves, hence we use mats, thats my way of thinking anyway.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I prefer to use a mat for any fish I can't easily hold with one hand. So that would be fish of over around 2lb.

I think it's a little different when fishing from a seat box as I can hold the landing net between my knees and unhook bigger fish while they're still in the net.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Why not get the latest minnow unhooking mat from Brennan Tackle? Designed by Dieter Brennan himself.

:eek:)

B

Big Swordsy :O)

Next season I will hold the british record for Minnows

All I need are ornithologists scales to get an acurate reading off.

G

Gary Knowles 2

whatever happened to wet grass, its the make of unhooking mat I've been using for years...

C

Chris Bishop

I believe gudgeon handling guidelines should be left to the Gudgeon Society and people who wear floppy hats.

I deplore the antics of these crudgeoner lot, who use multiple rods, bite alarms and sizeable amounts of Stella Artois.

All they care about is their next three (ouncer).

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
If a tree falls over in a forest, and there is nobody there,,, does it make any noise?

If i am alone when i catch a speci fish, does it matter that i havn't got an unhooking mat?

If nobody is there does it matter a scintilla?

Horses for >>>>>>> etc.

Unless you are amongst a group????
Then you have to perform to the rules of the libralist one.

F

Fred Bonney

What if you haven't got a nice grassy bank but one of gravel and stone ?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

No problem with a nice grassy bank.

Gravel and stone - use an unhooking mat