Very sad

R

Rodney Wrestt

10,000 dead bream from a canal? that's a lot of fish which will leave a big gap in the year class as well as the predators having to compete more, very sad to see a fish kill like this.

Wonder what caused it, especially with them all being the same species?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Lee,
I've seen a kill before but thankfully small nothing like that, I think the one I saw was due to oxygen depletion in a local canal and it was a couple of hundred fish that perished.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

it has to be a pathogen specific to bream, next year class up, next?

R

Rodney Wrestt

I had a discusion with the Monk on here a while back about Pathogen's and parasites, it's weird the way they are target specific. Like this, why not all cyprinids in the venue? it's the same in spring when carp fall to another target specific pathogen.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Sad is a good description Rodney, I've seen and heard of canal fish kills but can't say I've ever heard of one that was species specific, thats a new one on me. I'm not doubting it you understand just that I have never known that happen to anything other than carp, which unfortunately is a common happening nowadays.

W

Wolfman Woody

I've been trying to find out more about it, I know this stretch of the GU.

Unfortunately, the fisheries man I asked said, he should know something, but it's in a different area and that was the first he'd heard of it. He was mystified and he's a marine biologist.

R

Rodney Wrestt

It's strange that it's not only one species but they're all the same age group, hate to mention it but could it have been a failed stocking?

But then who would introduce a load of fry at this time of year? I know what I'm thinking (hope I'm wrong)but wouldn't want to suggest any wrong doing.

K

Kevin Perkins

There have been huge bream kills in adjoining Startops in the past, and, of course, this is linked to the canal. Those deaths were in summer though, and algae bloom was thought to be the cause.

Keith Butcher

Reaction score
Could any of the fish kills be related to the artical's printed in the Angaling presss ie upper mouthed gudgion.But in the G.U.C.only Bream have been afected.The other venue the name of which escapepes me all fish where infected.How and who put these U.M.G. put in to these water systems.Once more a fish kill which may have been avoided who ever was resonsable I hope there consonion gives them night meares