HOW MUCH HEMP TO USE FOR ROACH

N

nicholas bray

I going float fishing for roach in the morning to a local pond for It's muddy and it's about 3ft deep, theres a large conectration as there aren't any perch or pike

N

nicholas bray

Start again my missus pressed the submit button when i was looking.

I'm going float fishing for roach tomorrow afternoon/evening to a local pond it's muddy and it's about 3-4ft deep, and there's alot of roach in there.
At this time of year now the weathers warmed back up a bit how much hemp should you use and how often should you introduce it to keep a large shoal of roach feeding

njb51

Reaction score
"At this time of year now the weathers warmed back up a bit"

Where do you live? Tenerife!

N

nicholas bray

Well it has been freezing for the last two weeks hard frosts, snow, artic winds, now it's back to cloudy rainy weather, it's hardly the sub zero temperatures we have been experiencing, I should imagine the fish are a little bit more active

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Nick, can I call you Nick?

Go easy with it, a small pinch every cast.

A dozen grains with six casters, casters will get the roach sorted.

Every cast, increase slightly if the fish start responding positively.

N

nicholas bray

Yeah everyone calls me nick, thanks for the advice

I was thinking something along those lines, in the summer if i'm using groundbait I use a grape sized ball each cast, and normally introduce about 10 balls of the same size to start the swim off, would you put a light bed down to start the swim off or not bother?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Nick,

This time of year I would avoid groundbait, unless the water is coloured.
If clear, I would use casters with a small amount of hemp or liquidised bread, with punch on the hook.
You would be amazed at the fish that will take punch, it aint just the small uns!

Beecy

Reaction score
I'd fish a punch line fairly close in at say 8M, start off with a walnut size ball of liquidised and if you get bites straight away dont feed again until they tail off.If you don't get any signs give it 1/2 hour or so before feeding again.

I'd have a hemp/caster line further out at say 11M, no more than a egg cup of hemp with a few casters at first and have a go over the top with caster every now and then to rest the punch line.And keep flicking in 4or5 casters and a few grains of hemp fairly regularly.

As its quite shallow I would have the 11m line to one side at 10 or 2 oclock, this way you dont disturb the punch swim as much when you bring fish in.

N

nicholas bray

Thanks everyone for your advice i'll put it in to practise later today and let you know how i get on

N

nicholas bray

Thanks guys I went yesterday afternoon but couldn't get any casters so used bread punch and maggots instead.

I fished hemp and maggot to my left tight to the margins.

Liquidised bread and maggot at 12 o'clock about 3 ft out.

I fished another 1ine at 12 o'clock but about 12ft out i used a little bit of bread hemp and maggot in this swim

I then alternated the three lines picking a few fish out of each line before it would go quiet again but by swapping lines i kept the fish coming

i stuck to the small quantities of feed as recommended no more than a pinch of hemp and maggots or a small amount of bread but kept the feed going into each line regularly

I caught 39 roach and 1 stickleback so your advice worked well, it did take about an hour though before they came on the feed properly.

Johnny I must admit mate it was bloody freezing after all!!!!