Spod reel

B

Bob Watson

Hello boys, been a while,

Just treated myself to the Greys spod and marker rods.
I'm sorted on the marker reel bit but I could do with a tip off on a big pit reel for the spodding, looking for a good work-horse that will see upto about 20 good outings a season. Also looking at the braid and leader, Wychwood do both, any good?

E

EC

Could be worth having a look at a few sea reels Bob. The fixed spool reels I see getting used locally on the prom certainly aren't expensive models in the main mate, and they all take some wellie having to generally chuck 4oz of lead + bait.

They might be a tad bit cumbersome but for the job you are asking them to do I would think they are more than capable, albeit unfashionable.

F

Frothey

shimano biomaster gt8000's - can pick them up pretty cheap

S

Sage

Shimano Aerlex can be picked up cheap as well. I have the Wychwood braid on my Marker rod and it is fine. On my spod I have the Nash bullet braid.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
daiwa just brought out a dedicated spod reel bit pricy though @ ?140.00 korda armacord is a good leader

C

Cakey

your spod reel should be the same(or better than) as your fishing reels that way you know you will make the distance .
if distance aint an issue ie 50 yds tops then anything will do

B

Bob Watson

Thanks for the comments lads.
I've 3 10000 GTX's on my rods, I think I'll have a look at the Shimanos, keep it all from the "stable".

I use power-pro on my lure rods, a bit pricey for me to justify chucking spods with.

B

Bob Watson

I meant xte's always get mixed up with them and the gte's

B

Big Rik

powerpro to quiksilver....

agreed, or 50lb PP straight through for the spod

Again, agree with either Biomaster or Aerlex.
(I've got the biomaster on my marker rod)

Big Mart

Reaction score
Biomasters on the the spod, plenty of cranking power when you get the sore arm!

C

Cakey

Ive used Big Rik's marker rod and that flys so his spod set up will do the same...........

B

Bob Watson

Thanks again lads, looks like it'll be the biomaster, can't seem to find the GT online.

Found the XS and GTX at the same price,
Big Pits

?79.99, which one?

Big Mart

Reaction score
The XS is 79.99 and the GTX is 119 (Its the normal Daiwa Emcast with no picture below thats 79.99).

Reckon that should help you make your mind up Bob!

Paul B

Reaction score
Fosters Birmingham advertising Biomaster XS @ ?67 in december advanced carp fishing(if you've not already ordered!!); Climax tackle doin new Bio gta with baitrunner spool for ?80 or bio gtx for ?84 (same mag).

B

Bob Watson

Had a look on their website Paul, it looks like they've gone!! I beleve they're being replaced with the XSA which should retail for around ?85

My local (Spotty Dog) tackle shop has a Bio 7000 XS which I can have for ?56. Should I go for it or go for the bigger 8000?