Legered Float Rig

Chris

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
i am relatively new to fishing and don't go very often, but i'm looking for a new rig to try out next time i go fishing. I was watching matt hayes on tv a couple of weeks ago and saw him use a rig which was what i'd been looking for, light and simple. He fished a small waggler down to a swivel with putty wrapped round it, and a ready tied trace going to the hook. i would like some more info on how this rig is supposed to sit in the water and any advice on shotting and bait etc as i might use it when i next go fishing. Thanks
Chris

A

andy driver

Hi Chris

This is a brilliant method, particularly if you are not into feeder fishing, because you can use it at distance. Its also good for windy conditions where there is a big chop or drift on the water.

It's great for Bream, Tench and Carp in particular. The way I do it is to use a minimum 3AAA waggler set about a foot overdepth. I use a loop of fine mono with 2 or 3 SSG's pinched on it which slides up and down the main line. A small ledger stop about 6 inches from the hook stops the SSG's sliding down to the hook. Make sure the weight of the SSG loop is heavier than the shotting guide for the float. For really big floats you can use a small Arseley Bomb instead of a loop.

Step up the weight and float size depending on distance and conditions.

When you cast, the float will lie flat on the surface. Put the rod on the rests and slowly tighten up. As the line goes taught the float will cock and the more you wind back, the lower the float will go in the water.

There are 2 types of bites. The first is the float going under. The second is the 'lift' bite where the fish picks up the bait and lifts the weight of the bottom causing the float to rise. Strike at either.

This is a great method and extremely sensitive. Best of luck - hope this helps!