The Shimano Super Baitrunner

P

Paul Williams

It looks good, the last one they brought out looked really unwieldy in my opinion, ......there are going to be some bargains about as all the tackle tarts convert!!!!

C

Chris Bishop

I just got one of the new Nexus BR's to try, it's brilliant. None of the wobble of the old reels (mind you mine are cream crackered...) and the continuous anti-reverse is very impressive.

My only gripes are the anti-reverse lever works in the opposite direction. I alsways subconsiously check it's on before I hit a fish, then my fingers hover over it ready to knock it off and backwind if it suyrges off. Now I'll no doubt be totally cack-handed until I get used to 'em.

This new reel looks promising for drifting etc.

I expect (cynically...) the others will now follow suit.

D

David OLoughlin

Working on the principle of 'tackle tarts' (good one Paul), can anyone recommend a baitrunner that may become affordable for a cheapskate like me. ie the missus will only let me have one if I sell my ass - & for that I'll only get @5p

P

Paul Williams

David,
i didn't dream "tackle tarts" up but even real tackle tarts like the term!!
Look out for second hand shimano's, there are some bargains about!!....i have no problem at all with relieving someone of their "as new" old model's....basically there are two models with four different spools....the 4010/5010 small spools and the 6010/8010 large spools, then there are the standard and GT models.....the standard are fine!!

D

Dave Johnson

and my new GTE is even better........:0)
has anyone checked out the BRunners on Badgers site-who makes em?
what was that site you and Mike were onabout last Thurs Rik?

C

Carp Angler

It was the Askari site that someone mentioned on here.
Their 'freerunners' are listed here
Some of the brands I've never heard of, but if the truth were known, we'd probably find they are all made in the same far east sweatshop.

C

Chris Bishop

Some of those Badger reels were doing the rounds last season branded Banax, whoever they are.

You can still get a few of the old BRs about if you scour the mags but there's a real price war on the new ones at the moment - as low as ?73 for the 8000 GTEs.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm not surprised there is a price war on Baitrunners. The dealers know that when the new XT 10000's come out in November the bottom will drop out of sales of the older models. This new Baitrunner is a real upgrade and not just a cosmetic job and believe me there will be a hell of a lot of anglers wanting to upgrade to them.

If you're not desperate, wait till the new XT10000's come out because there will be a shedful of new and used older models for sale at silly prices.

C

Chris Bishop

It's very simple from a marketing point of view - get everyone using the old 6010s and 8010s to upgrade first, then once you're nearing saturation point bring in a new must-have, so everyone goes out and buys three more.

R

Ron Clay

I've always aspired to own two matched baitrunners. But this has truly been pie in the sky.

Looks like I will finally achieve my life ambition if the reels are going to be sold at silly prices. Not all of us have wallets like Graham, Rik and Brummie. (violins...)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's true Chris, and it's the same the whole world over with practically any product you care to name. I'm just surprised that some think it should be any different with fishing tackle.

And Ron, my wallet's different than Rik's and Brummie's - it's empty through buying too much fishing tackle........

C

Chris Bishop

They all end up looking pretty identical - covered in slime and mud - after a while.

On a slightly different tack does anyone know how to stop the line rollers sticking on them..? I've tried stripping it down and giving it a good flush with UB40 but it soon starts sticking again and I can't work out why.

Minor thing but your line twists up everywhere if the roller doesn't turn.

C

Chris Bishop

Sorry mate. Got the well-known lubricating solvent mixed up with the legendary Birmingham-based reggae band, whose first single Food For Thought spent 13 weeks in the charts, reaching number 4, in March 1980.

R

Ron Clay

Now there's a thing. Can you imagine a load of Brummies singing reggae music with a Brummie accent!!

C

Chris Bishop

You've never heard of UB40..? That's amazing. All those hits of the eighties - One in Ten, Red Red Wine, Many Rivers to Cross, I Got You Babe.

R

Ron Clay

No Chris I haven't. At that time even the Beatles were banned in SA.

Mind you I've got no time for McCartney these days.

P

Paul Williams

Chris,
You wanna be careful about getting your lubricant mixed up....snigger

D

David OLoughlin

Ron did they let you hear 'K.Y. and the Sunshine Band'?