Ban on Carp

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The big news in the Angling Press this week is Greg Whitehead's story in Angling Times regarding Prof. Brian Moss' call for a UK ban on the stocking of carp.

Having read the story in full, I agree with every point Brian Moss makes. We do have too many carp in Britian and yes they are destroying our natural shallow lakes and the habitat of our indigenous species.

I am truly glad that a qualified fishery scientist has brought this subject up.

If you haven't read the story, I suggest you get your AT and do so. Even Big Des and Keith Arthur have been brought into the debate to say nothing of YT.

What do you think?

G

Ged

I think that we now have enough carp waters.
One water I have fished I feel has been ruined due to other fish having been taken out and more carp intrduced.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I know several waters in the South Yorks area where this is the case Gerald. Not only that but these lakes have been wrecked as natural waters by the erection of those ghastly wooden platforms all around.

Before long the anglers on all our fisheries will look like garden gnomes!

Beecy

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not alone in hating platforms.

Why do they make them 3 foot above water level?

Ginger

Reaction score
Ron,I think the problem is that most anglers want to catch Carp.At my local club we have 5 lakes and a couple of miles of river, if you visit the lakes 90% of anglers will be sitting behind 2 or 3 rods on a pod,i fish the river every weekend and i`m usually the only angler on the stretch.It`s just catering for the anglers demands, most of these guys want easy fishing with big results.

B

Baz (bad loser and proud of it)

I agree with Ginger.
Clubs cater for anglers demands, or what they think anglers want.
One particular lake I know of which has large breem in it, is being forsaken and neglected, to the whims of a nodding dog committee. Who to be quite frank haven't got a bluddie clue.

L

Les Clark

Has a carp angler I would say that yes ,stop the high level of carp stocking that is going on .
I can only talk about my local club ,it`s a case of carp ,carp and more carp ,every lake has been stocked with carp ,you hardly see the pleasure angler anymore and silver fish seem to on the decline and the pike ,at least the 20lb plus are on the lean side.
On the other side ,the tench and bream are getting to a good size due to the amount of carp bait going in .
But Im sure that the huge amout of carp stocked is upsetting the balance of nature and if it is not sorted out ,in future ,the carp will be the only remaining species to fish for in most lakes and that would be so bloody sad .

B

BLAM

I can't see this happening from a purely commercial perspective even if I fully agree with the sentiments. My local tackle dealer estimated 90% of his business was carp related which is an amazing statistic.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
There has been talk of a totally different regime on fish stocking so that stocking levels were controlled on all waters; whether it would work is something else. This would be an end to the 2000-3000lb per acre days.....

B

Where does this news come from Mark?
I'd like to bang my club over the head with it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

By the way, where does this awful term: "Silver Fish" come from?

If they mean bream, they are not silver, they are bronze. If they mean roach, they are not silver but slightly brassy, especially the big ones. If they mean rudd, they are not silver but golden. If they mean tench, they are not silver but golden bronze to almost green, If they mean chub, they are not silver but brassy.

Show me a fish that is silver?

Well, maybe a dace or a bleak or a silver bream.

No, these fish have a greenish tint.

L

Les Clark

Get off your high horse Ron and stop splitting hairs ,you know what I meant!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Hey steady on Les, I'm not getting at you for goodness sake. Sorry if you think I was.

I'm getting at the people who coined this ridiculous term. Yes of course I know what it means.

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
What term would be suitable collective term to use instead of silverfish Ron?
Perhaps " other than carp " could be used?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

"Indigenous Fish" Ian. Or how about: "Native Species".

The whole idea of having collective terms for fish species however smacks of a form of apartheid.

Reminds me of the old signs proclaiming: "Europeans Only".

B

Collective names for different species hunters.

Anagram Time.
How about a Rabble of Barble anglers.?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Baz,

It wasn't that long ago; the EA were looking at a new way of working the stocking consents instead of the current, "oh the fishing's a bit hard shove another load of small carp in" method. Finally realising that overstocking and poor fishery management cause fish deaths unnecessarily. It has long been recognised that stocking levels around 400-500lb per acre, properly managed are around the optimum given that the water can sustain that head of fish. If it's managed properly you should be removing fish not adding them, which of course is how Sway lakes got superb roach rather than a stunted mess of tiddlers. Other fishery managers have done the same.

I hope they succeed but won't be holding my breath.

Of course, the bag-up brigade won't be happy but you can't please everyone...