Baitrunner or not?

nick dv

Reaction score
Is there any advantage to using a baitrunner when Barbel fishing? I have spoken to a few people and some say they would never use one for Barbel fishing, others swear by them. I do not possess one and was just going to use my normal Shimano 4000 GTMs.

The only reason I can see for using a baitrunner is if you wanted to take your eye off the rod at times - or doze off!

Cheers, Nick :)

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hi Nick

Having not done any real barbel fishing I can't really comment on their suitability with the kind of bites you'll get...

However....

I do a lot of feeder fishing with a baitrunner and I wouldn't be without it now. Admittedly, occasionally I will actually engage the lever for its proper purpose (a screaming bite) because I want a pee or a snooze. However, I also find myself using the little lever a great deal for other reasons - e.g. tackling up when I want to pull line off the reel, its much more controlled than just opening the bail arm... in fact, any other task other than casting where you need to open the bail arm is more controllable using the baitrunner. So for example, letting out a couple of extra inches of line to a finicky chub bite... or letting our line to balance a quiver tip in a flow. What I've found is that once I got used to having the option of the baitrunner, i'd use if for all sorts of things I hadn't really considered... and then when I went back to feeder fishing with a regular fixed spool reel, I found i kept reaching for that little lever!

So my reccomendation would be, use a baitrunner.... possibly not for what it's designed though! I'm sure more barbel-orientated folks on here will have opinions!

nick dv

Reaction score
Thanks for that Jim, some good points here. I am open to all advice/opinions/recommendations.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Hi Nick. I think that this is very much a personal preference and that you'll get loads of different opinions on this.

My own preference is to use a bait runner for my barbel fishing. My reasons are that

You can never maintain 100% concentration whilst fishing and using the bait runner prevents lost rods.

I like to use 2 rods where I can.

The bait runner give an audible indication

The bait runner allows easy adjustment of line tension.

The only time I don'tswitch the bait runner on is when I'm snag fishing, which I hope is obvious!

Paul Morley

Reaction score
I mentioned elsewhere I changed from 5000 baitrunners to 4000 Stadic Rds, the fighting drag used properly is all I need. Lighter than the Baitrunner, bigger spools and better line lay, amazingly good mechanically and the facility to alter the drag during the fight (having set it to nowt for bites). I am very pleased!!

nick dv

Reaction score
Sean/Paul, thanks again for your opinions/reasons for and against, it's all food for thought. From this I it's a case of personal preference, so for now I will start off with the reels I have. Once I have caught my first dozen or so double figure Barbel, I will decide whether I need to change or not!!! :D:D:D

quickcedo

Reaction score
Imo If you choose to not use a baitrunner sit with your rod at ALL times or you will lose it.
I changed over to baitrunners (when I'm not using a c.pin) because twice I got caught out (pun intended) when I was having a pee. Very difficult to put the old boy away while playing Barbel:wh

nick dv

Reaction score
Phew! I am glad you weren't playing with the old boy while putting the barbel away!! :D Another good point though.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's no real problem in not using a baitrunner. However, make sure that your rod is well anchored and banksticks firmly in the bank. The risk of losing a rod is too high unless you keep your hands on the butt of the rod all the time you've got a baited hook in the water.

bigchub

Reaction score

The only time I don't switch the bait runner on is when I'm snag fishing, which I hope is obvious!

Or for the more traditional amongst us you could use a centrepin? Obviously on a big river or where you need to cast far this is not an option.

Reaction score
Hi Nick. I think that this is very much a personal preference and that you'll get loads of different opinions on this.

My own preference is to use a bait runner for my barbel fishing. My reasons are that

You can never maintain 100% concentration whilst fishing and using the bait runner prevents lost rods.

I like to use 2 rods where I can.

The only time I don'tswitch the bait runner on is when I'm snag fishing, which I hope is obvious!

I agree and disagree with Sean,

Baitrunners are convenient for letting off line whilst tackling up, or for taking a cheeky pee (by your rods) if conditions/ bladder dictate, or as a back-up when you get a bite whilst fishing two rods...

But I would never plan to barbel fish with the runner engaged. How many snag-free barbel swims do you know? A baitrunner is a useful tool but non-essential in barbel fishing.

If you are worried about moments of distraction fix your rod with a solid butt clamp/cup...

As an aside Sean; do you reckon the lead set-up effects the mechanics of a baitrunner set up? Eg. semi-fixed, free running...

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
There was a time when I believed that baitrunners had no part to play in Barbel fishing however, last year i did about 10 2-4 day sessions on the W.Avon fishing 2 rods 24hrs a day. I caught barbel between 7 and 12lb (lots). I didn't lose one fish to a snag, indeed (on a running lead set up) the fish on average only ran 10-15yds before stopping. They then just sat there shaking there heads to remove the hook? The distance of the runs was measured because I had markers on the line for recasting in the dark. Not one fish headed for a snag they all ran straight downstream, it was only after the hook was set and pressure applied that they really started pulling or heading for snags. This of course could be very different with semi fixed set up where the fish feels the weight of the lead at all times leading to panic.

A

alan whittington

I would agree Mark,the fish tend not to run as hard once there is less pressure on them,for me i prefer not to use 'runners' if i need a pee i loosen my drag accordingly,the length of your sessions lead to having to fish as a long stay carper,not my cup of tea,but i understand why you do it,angling time is precious and sleep is a must:);).

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Hi Nick

Having not done any real barbel fishing I can't really comment on their suitability with the kind of bites you'll get...

However....

I do a lot of feeder fishing with a baitrunner and I wouldn't be without it now. Admittedly, occasionally I will actually engage the lever for its proper purpose (a screaming bite) because I want a pee or a snooze. However, I also find myself using the little lever a great deal for other reasons - e.g. tackling up when I want to pull line off the reel, its much more controlled than just opening the bail arm... in fact, any other task other than casting where you need to open the bail arm is more controllable using the baitrunner. So for example, letting out a couple of extra inches of line to a finicky chub bite... or letting our line to balance a quiver tip in a flow. What I've found is that once I got used to having the option of the baitrunner, i'd use if for all sorts of things I hadn't really considered... and then when I went back to feeder fishing with a regular fixed spool reel, I found i kept reaching for that little lever!

So my reccomendation would be, use a baitrunner.... possibly not for what it's designed though! I'm sure more barbel-orientated folks on here will have opinions!

When tackling up i find it best not to pull line of the reel with the baitrunner engaged, it will put horrible line twist into mono, better to open the bailarm :)

Ive used baitrunners for barbel when fishing in flooded rivers, mainly because ive been using heavier rods (2Ib tc) with 12Ib line, my baitrunners had this line on so i used them. Ive used them when fishing for barbel at night whilst using an alarm, just gives you a bit of room for error if you doze and get one of those subtle twitches from a barb :D I remember one night where I'd stayed up all night fishing, i was knackered due to being up since dawn, i must have dozed off for a second when the rod just tore off, if id not had a baitrunner on id have lost the lot :eek:

006-3.jpg

For my standard barbel sett-up i tend to use rods of 1.5Ib coupled with fighting drag shimano. Going to try the pin this summer, isnt fishing a pin with the ratchet on just the same as fishing with a baitrunner?

quickcedo

Reaction score
Going to try the pin this summer, isnt fishing a pin with the ratchet on just the same as fishing with a baitrunner?
if you've never caught a Barbel on the "pin" you are in for a real treat. I absolutely love em, and only use the f.spool reels when I have to.
and yes it's the same as a baitrunner in that context.

nick dv

Reaction score
The Marco Cortesi c/pin that I ordered turned up today, and tbh it doesn't look a bad reel considering the price. I may load this with the heavu line and give it a go for Brabel!

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I must admit I always wanted to try the pin, but a little nervous using one and not liking it or liking too much and spending more money.

I tend to always use my 5000 GTE's and to be honest I am I sit next to that rod all the time (Bladder like a camel), however when fishing on the Wye I had a violent take on my rod whilst I had my back turned no more than a few seconds, without the baitrunner I think the rod would have been gone.

Obviously I tighten up the baitrunner clutch to not loose too much line.

nick dv

Reaction score
I always use a pin for float fishing, and now gonna use it for Barbel, but for £30 the M/Cortesi pin is worth a go. If you don't like it you will flog it on easily.

Cheers, Nick :Chhers:

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I always use a pin for float fishing, and now gonna use it for Barbel, but for £30 the M/Cortesi pin is worth a go. If you don't like it you will flog it on easily.

Cheers, Nick :Chhers:

Yes that is the one I would go for, apparently it is fantastic for the money.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
But I would never plan to barbel fish with the runner engaged. How many snag-free barbel swims do you know? A baitrunner is a useful tool but non-essential in barbel fishing.

If you are worried about moments of distraction fix your rod with a solid butt clamp/cup...

As an aside Sean; do you reckon the lead set-up effects the mechanics of a baitrunner set up? Eg. semi-fixed, free running...

I can only remember one fish that I lost due to it finding a snag before I picked up the rod when using the bait runner and that was in a swim that I would have sworn that there wasn't a snag.

On the subject of the lead set up affecting the mechanics of the bait runner. When using heavier leads of around 1oz upwards I've not noticed much difference between fixed and semi fixed leads - nearly always a 3ft twitch followed by a screaming bait runner. When using light leads with slack line in slower shallower water (normally fishing for visible fish), bites are a much more leisurely affair. You often get taps and quivers, 'saw blade' vibrations and other shenanigins before you get a positve take. Striking at any point normally results in a fish, but I usually wait for the positive pull just to make sure. This has never resulted in a deep hooked fish so I suspect that the barbel hasn't spooked and is simply trying to eject the hook along with all the other bits of twig and gravel that they've hoovered up.

For most of my close range barbel fishing I now use a centre pin. Nothing special, just and old Mordex Major that's seen better days, but still works well for this sort of fishing. I've bought a second hand Fred Crouch Aerial which looks prettier, but probably won't be any better.