Our boys in blue

C

Cliff Hatton

Who?d have believed it?

Who?d have believed in those post-war years
when we picked up the pieces and started again
that fifty years on
there?d be legions of Bobbies
whose job it would be to intimidate men.
Not men who?d be villains
who?d murder or steal
but innocent guys at the steering-wheel.

Who?d have believed we?d have boys in blue
with, seemingly, nothing important to do
skulking in bushes, awaiting their chance
lev?lling their toys
as you make your advance?
??Gotcha, you bastard
that?s one for me!
I?m afraid, Sonny-Jim
you?ll be late for your tea.
Yes, I know you?ve been working
supporting your clan
now switch off your car and sit in the van.

You can see from this read-out
the proof of your crime
thirty-three miles per hour
that?s a sixty quid fine!
And just to add insult to injury
three penalty points on your licence
Whoopee!?

Who?d have believed we?d all come to see
the Thin Blue Line as our enemy?
Never mind robbers and litter-droppers
we?ll stay out of sight like good, modern coppers?
Parked-up in a lay-by
don?t think that we?re skiving!
We?re keeping an eye on the standard of driving
And woe betide you if you exceed the limit
cos we?ll be on you in less than a minute.

Is this a tad harsh on our sturdy crime-stoppers?
I?d love to concede that it is
But with spurious charges, the telling of whoppers
their guarded delight as they step out and stop us
who can respect the forces who are
Commited to harass YOU ? in your car.

CH. 2005

B

Billy boy smutty[cheers again cakey!]

to right cliff!!!WELL SAID!!!!!!! love it !!!!

B

i have to travel to northumberland every week a journey of almost 300 miles from my chesterfield home i do rougley 600 motorway miles a week ,imagine having to do all that at 70 miles an hour?..........not happening!! as u can imagine i havent got many spaces left on my licence! the amount of plod i see on the way there and the way back is unbelieveble,wouldent they be better deployed on an evening round housing estates chasing all the young twckers insted of harassing mr average on his way to or from work?? just another money making scheme for goverment/police me thinks??BAN ALL SPEED CAMERAS!!

B

WELL ON MOTORWAYS AT LEAST,they can do some good in residential areas,but thats a diferent topic alltogether.

W

Wolfman Woody

I can freely say this from the point of view that I have a clean licence and always have had, never even so much as a parking ticket. (smug b'stard that I am)

However, I do hate speed cameras and in particular the mobile vans that DO hide around corners, down side streets, or in one case around here, on the narrow central reservation of a dual carraigeway. This letter one is not only a distraction it is an unsafe place to park their vehicle and cause problems when they park and when they leave.

I hate them because too many people are paying more attention to where the cameras are now rather than looking at the road and watching other traffic. They are a complete distraction!

The Police say, they have reduced road accidents in the areas where they have been introduced. That may be so for those accident where the Police are involved, but how many more knocks, shunts, nudges have there been because someone brakes suddenly as they notice a camera?

I can tell you from a website, that in our area there has been NO reduction whatsoever in the amount of accidents anyway, so the police are not being truthful with us. If the cameras are painted yellow, usually the police get to keep the fine to pay for yet more cameras. No wonder someone wrote on the back of one "MONEY BANK".

This is before we talk about the stress it does cause some drivers who might or might not have been above the limit when passing a camera. This again is a distraction and I do believe that cameras should be banned, completely.

Rant still not over, I WILL BE BACK!!!

W

Wolfman Woody

Oh and nice one Cliff, I sent it to my police mate who also hates the bloody things.

B

thats right woody you stick it to em !!!

B

Baz (bad loser and proud of it)

So it's okay then to have a homosexual suspected terrorist pissed out of his skull, carrying drugs for his own use,knocking down Christmas trees because it is not in his religiouse beliefs? and inciting riots through a loudspeaker at what ever speed his bum chum wants him to do, because he wants to get home to his rent free accomadation? before he faces racial abuse from a passing vicar?

B

bloody hell baz,bit strong init?sounds like a discription of Birmingham to me!!..........

B

Hahahaaa.
Just wondering what is happening to this country mate, that used to be ours.

B

Twinned with a town somewhere in the Ukrain.

C

Cliff Hatton

IT IS TRULY INCREDIBLE...No, really...it would be GENUINELY unbelievable if we weren't actually living through it!

It wasn't THAT long ago that I was a young man - and by that, I don't mean a kid, so it really WASN'T long ago....

THEN, we were wary of weirdos who frequented public toilets...NOW, we watch the video based on a vile incident ON TOP OF THE POPS then buy the CD!! (Remember?)

THEN, to tell a teacher to 'F'-off got you expelled. NOW, it's the consequence of ADHD and is to be 'understood'.

THEN, the FIRST person you summoned in times of trouble or distress was a copper.
NOW,....What's the point?

THEN, there were, at least, SIGNS imploring us to Keep Britain Tidy. NOW? Nobody seems to give a monkey's.

THEN, pre-meditated murder got you the rope or a whole-life sentence.NOW, you're out in 7.5 years, very often.

THEN, the very thought of foul language on TV was taboo. NOW, it's every night routine.

THEN, your own mates would disown you if you kicked an enemy when he was down. NOW, it's expected of you to STAMP ON HIS HEAD (!!!!!)

If anybody in his 40s or 50s had been told that, one day, all this would transpire, they'd have laughed their heads off.

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL THIS?...i'D LOVE SOME REAL NAMES AND FACES. Theories, please.

B

Excellent Cliff, but very very true.

fishy pete

Reaction score
cliff hatton for priminister!! baz for home secretery!!! here here!!

B

The tree huggers and modern day parents are to blame.

And make no mistake about it, they will be amongst the first up the bolt hole when the poor misguided ferret pays them a visit.

W

Wolfman Woody

I watched a programme a few nights ago on Sky (it would have been a repeat, x30) called "Road Wars".

It follows Thames Valley (our force) Police around Slough and High Wycombe (my place). I know we have some turkeys around here, but you have to see it from the policeman's point of view.

One guy detained because they wanted to ask him where he'd been was so mouthy that every other word would have been bleeped on other channels. Time and again the police asked him and got mouthfulls of abuse and never did this guy offer any explanation. In the end they warned him, and not for the first time, that if he didn;t cool his language he would be arrested for a breech of the peace.

He didn't and was arrested. He later appeared in Court and was fined, that on top of being detained for one night in the nick. However, they found no connection between him and the crime they were investigating so if only he'd been nice and answered the question....

Now, in my day, the wooden trunction would have been drawn and he's have had 7 kinds of doo-doo knocked out of him. A whistle would have been blown and six other officers would have joined in. "What assault? he was resisting arrest." and he'd have been given a 7 day prison sentence, at least. Now they have to watch it otherwise they get sued!