barbel on the pole

• Thread starter DANNY BOY SMITH
  • Start date
D

DANNY BOY SMITH

last year i had a go at catching barbel on the don on my carp pole.
i never new how much fun you could have playing such a great fighting fish on a long peace of carbon.
as long as the poles up to it and the elastic is matched to the fish its safe and is something id recomend to anyone who owns a carp pole.(just make sure you take time returning the fish back to the water)
so who else has cought barbel this way what rigs did you use, baits,etc?

Blunderer

Reaction score
weeee waaaah weee waaaaah weeee waaaah!!

Hands up.....you are under arrest....

C

Chub King

Careful Danny, you'll get linched by regulars with that kind of talk on this site. Having said that I'll bet it was great fun. Reckon you'd want a decent carp pole and some Red Hydro though!
What bait and tactics did you use?

Beecy

Reaction score
You cant beat the pole for accuracy and presentation so providing its deep our coloured enough for the pole not to spook them its as valid a tactic as any other providing your geared up for it.

Wouldn?t try it myself though as I?ve not got a pole that could cope with a big un

eric walker

Reaction score
i had a mate catch a 6 lb on the pole it took it that long to land some 30 minutes and the same to resuss i told him i thought fishing for them deliberatly on the pole was unreasonable and unfair to the fish . dont supose the fish thought it was fun . i wonder how your pole would react to a double in a snag . no fun at all sorry mate its a sad way to fish for barbs . please have a rethink at your tatics

Beecy

Reaction score
There are poles around these days that can give just as much stick out as rod and line.

eric walker

Reaction score
beecy i know that there are power poles and elastics etc etc still think its wrong to play a fish on rivers lik this . i m not ben nasty but if you wish to catch barbs that way then stick to still waters would be no good on the rivers like the ribble wye etc . carp poles are ok in still water but carp and barbel in rivers its a differant game and unfair to fish care

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Any fairly hooked fish in British freshwater that takes longer than 10 minutes to land is being played on tackle that is too weak, or the person behind the rod doesn't know how to handle the fish.

And yes I have caught fish that have taken longer than 10 minutes, but these invariably were fish that were caught by accident on very light tackle, or were foul hooked. Most of the time you can land a hard fighting fish in less than 5 minutes.

I have enough experience with the pole to know that at times it can take too long to land a big fish.

Certainly I would never contemplate using a pole for barbel.

Beecy

Reaction score
fair comment chaps, but its horses for courses, the guys on about fishing a fairly tame river like the Don, I dare say theres not that many fish in the Don that could'nt be got out fairly quickly on a pole thats geared up for it.

as I said before, I would'nt try it myself because I don't have the right gear.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Nice one Danny, you certainly know how to stir it Boy!

Contentious point or what?

Properly geared up a pole should handle it, it does with carp, on STILL WATER.

So should it be used for barbel on flowing water?

Personaly, I would say no, if you latch a big girl that would not be good for the fish.

4-6lbs hmm, above that I would have serious reservations.
IMHO.

Beecy

Reaction score
"Any fairly hooked fish in British freshwater that takes longer than 10 minutes to land is being played on tackle that is too weak, or the person behind the rod doesn't know how to handle the fish."

Ron, whenever you read about "shoulders, two tone & traveler" and all that crap, you read the stories of how they took 45 minuites to "beat", are you saying these guys are using tackle that is too weak and that they don't know what they are doing?

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Where does the 10 min rule come in then?

Is 1 min too quick?

What parameters should we all we aiming for then?

I can't see that 10 mins is too much time, or that it means the guy behind the rod is a numpty for going beyond it. How long would you allow then for a fish hooked at 200 yards, like Shelley does?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Fishing for Barbel on the pole is something I have considered due to the presentation that would be possible.

If I didn't think I could land a fish within 5 minutes or so I wouldn't entertain the idea.

The truth is that I find a reclining chair much comfier than a seatbox. Easier to carry too!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Either/or, Beecy.

They are probably pretty good at hooking fish but from the way I have seen some anglers "woossifoot" their fish when they hook them, I am not surprised they take such a long time.

Some carp anglers seem to stand there with only the minimum of bend in their rods. And they stand there for ages backwinding like some silly demented idiot when they have a 15 lb line and a superb drag on their reels. They should be using every muscle in their arms and making that fish work like heck for every inch of line it gains.

On the right gear the biggest barbel in Britain in a free swimming situation should take no more than say 15 minutes to land. I have caught much harder fighting fish in fast rivers that have weighed nearly 40 lbs and have had them in the net in 5 or 6 minutes.

I have caught saltwater species up to 20lbs on a fly rod that would make Two Tone look like a sick bream, and had them out in less than 10 minutes.

When you hook a decent fish, give it some hiok for goodness sake.

Beecy

Reaction score
can't argue with you Ron as ive never had to try and land anything like these fish, but I still say that a pole could cope if geared up for it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Make you a bet Beecy.

I'll bet I can pull a far greater force with my 9 foot 6 weight fly rod bent at 90 degrees to the line than your 12 metre pole, pulling at the same angle.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Iv'e had Tarpon to a large size, and you have no chance at all of getting them in quickley, some take hours as opposed to mins.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

That's true Murray. When a tarpon gets its head down it can be a swine, as can many other saltwater species. However, here I am talking about British freshwater species.

I remember certain British fish that have given me a hell of a fight. A Hanningfield rainbow put up a hell of a scrap once on 6lb leader and a 10 hook. This fish must have taken close on 100 yards of backing in one of its runs. The reel handle put a heck of a bruise on my knuckles. The thing leapt, ran and sounded. It knew every blinkin trick in the book. I guess that fish took me the best part of 15 minutes to land.

It only weighed 4 1/4 lbs.

Beecy

Reaction score
Can?t take you up on that Ron as I don?t have a clue as to which would be the winner, it would be interesting to find out though!

A good power pole, cut back, lots of extra leverage?