The Compleat Angler

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
Geoffrey Palmer, one of Britain's best loved actors (Butterflies, As Time Goes By), joins Rae Borras, an east-ender with encyclopaedic angling knowledge, to catch some of Britain's classic fish as they compare the locations, the fish and the methods of today with how they would have been in the time of Izaak Walton?s 1653 book ?The Compleat Angler?.

Being the most reprinted English-language book - after the works of Shakespeare and the bible - Walton?s book records the efforts of an experienced fisherman as he imparts his wisdom to an eager-to-learn novice.

Rae and Geoffrey aim to retrace the journey of the book together and gain insight from the lifetime experiences of a true angling master. Follow them as they take up the challenge to visit some of Walton?s favourite haunts and try some of the methods that he would have used 350 years ago.

?The Compleat Angler? premieres on Discovery Real Time on Friday 13th January at 9.00pm. The ten-part series will transmit thereafter in this day and time slot.

(just thought people might like to know of what looks like being a quality show)

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Many thanks for the info.
As I'm getting old and forgetful a reminder nearer the time would be much appreciated.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Easy solution Woody, don't cancel.

Thanks for the info chavender. It's going to be interesting to see how they tackle the River Lea. In Walton's time it was a fast flowing natural river but now it's a canal.

M

mark williams 4

Rae Borras? If he's so encyclopaedic how come I haven't heard of him? Or is it just me...

One of the problems fishing Walton's old haunts is that half of them are now pipes covered in concrete, and the rest sucked dry by the water companies because they can't be arsed to treat river water.

I don't subscribe to Dirty Digger's empire - completely on the pricipal that he's never paid a penny personal taxation in his life and is slightly right of Genghis Khan, politically - but I'd be interested to see whether they try to gloss over that Walton must be turning in his grave with what has happened to the Lee, etc....