smelly hemp

N

nicholas bray

how long should you keep hemp that you have already boiled.
I can't keep it in the freezer and i've noticed even after a few days in the shed even with this cold weather it starts to smell and ferment, when it gets like this is it dangerous for the fish, if it's not will it still work or will the fish be put off, i know that some particle baits are left to ferment anyway.
i have some hemp left from last saturday i wanted to use it tonight any advice.

Beecy

Reaction score
If your just using it as feed I can't see it hurting anything.

Why can't you keep it in the freezer, if you don't mind me asking?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nick,

It should be okay for tonight.

In future, try rinsing your leftover hemp in clean water and straining it off - repeat that process a few times.
Then you will find that it will stay a little fresher though the next 3 or 4 days.

Also, if you rinse it a few times, and put it into clean poly' bags, then you can put it in the 'fridge instead of the freezer - not more than a couple of days though.

Hope this helps.

Dave German

Reaction score
Tench love it when its fermented for a few days, cant see any problems.

N

nicholas bray

That's a great help thanks for the advice, the reason i can't put it in the freezer or fridge is because my girlfriend put a ban on it a about a week ago because she was fed up of so much bait being in the fridge freezer, you know the kind of stuff left over sprats, lumps of sausage meat, hemp etc, I didn't complain too much as she is very easy going and let's me do loads of fishing,i already have my own room which is full of stinky tackle. I'll just have to wait untill we get a new one then I can put the old in the shed

Beecy

Reaction score
Nick, I have the same greif off my girlfriend, the trick is to disguise everything, put your bags of hemp in something like an ice cream tub!

W

Wolfman Woody

Very inconsiderate.

Keep the hemp in the freezer and throw out the girlfriend. :eek:)

C

Chub King

Don't talk to me about frozen leftovers! I've got about two gallons of dead maggot clogging up my freezer. They fill a washing up bowl right to the brim! Long time before the tench will get to guzzle on them... Roll on spring!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I bought a second hand chest freezer, it's now full of bait.
Bags of hemp measured out at two pints per bag, dead maggots, bottles of frozen hemp water etc etc.

Why did I buy the freezer?

Moaning women...

Now she wants to fill it with Christmas food...

All of a sudden my smelly bait freezer is acceptable for food, so what was the problem before????

Women aye...!!!

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

"I freeze my hemp and the water it was boiled in,in an empty coke bottle....just screw the lid on and no leaks,smells and no bloody moaning women!!!"

Just remember not to fill it more than 3/4 full. Water expands when it freezes and if you fill the bottle to the top it'll split open.

Nicholas, why not buy a mini-freezer and keep it the garden shed or garage. That's what I did. I got mine from Argos a couple of years ago for about ?45 but I don't know if they still sell them. Worth checking though.

P

Paul Christie 2

Try putting the girlfriend in the freezer and..........

Probably a obvious answer, but how do companies that sell hemp in tubs preseve it with a long shelf life?

N

nicholas bray

Ah you know what women are like but she's a good old stick so i don't mind.
Problem almost sorted anyway I spotted a fridge- freezer on one of the neighbours drives and I asked them could i have it i powered it up and it works, all i got to do now is get electricity into the shed, on that note dog biscuit , frank how did you go about getting power to your sheds?