Trent at caythorpe

Andy Leivers 2

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have returned to fishing after a 10 year break and would like a bit of help please. Have only been 4 or 5 times since starting back and am tyring a stretch of the trent at caythorpe/hoveringham. Not had much luck yet, twice the river's been up 2 to 4 foot and once it was snowing, have only had 3 bites and one fish, a chub of 3lb+. does anyone know this stretch and could they offer any tips re method & bait and in particular distance to fish. At the moment im fishing the stick and maggot/hemp at about 2-3 rod lengths or the feeder with same bait at about a third of the way across.I am after Chub/roach/perch rather than barbel & carp. Any help much appreciated

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Andy. The noted pegs are (or was) around the high 70s to the earky 80s either side of the fence end. Years ago these were the pegs that produced in the winter months. It was mostly feeder with a long throw to the far side. Also the ninteys are noted barbel pegs but never having fished them much i cant speak from personal experience. A good few years ago my fishing pal and i had a great days fishing further down on peg126 and 128 catching chub bream and roach in 2 terrific bags. Ive only been twice in the last couple of years so my info is not up to date but those were the hot spots and i cant see it having changed much. Hope this helps.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Andy,

Whether you want them or not, barbel are the predominant species on most of the Trent these days, so if you are feeder fishing I would advise that you step up your takcle to say 8lb main line and 6 lb hook length at least.

The fish are certainly not tackle shy and if you fish maggots you are very likely to hook a barbel, especially if you are fishing on gravel.

Andy Leivers 2

Reaction score
Thank you both for the advice. Il will definitly try those pegs next time, and step up my tackle accordingly. The main reason i posted my question on this site (a part from the fact that i hoped to get a reply from experienced & knowledgeable anglers such as yourselves) was that in the half dozen times i have been fishing i havnt seen another angler on the bank who i could ask. Is this because the fishing is harder now? One of the main reasons i chose to fish caythorpe was parking and easy access, i was looking at fishing NAA stretch above gunthorpe bridge, but apart from 1 or 2 small lay bys i couldnt find anywhere to park (these lay bys also had signs warning of car thieves). I also tried NAA water below gunthorpe weir but couldnt find the access road. Do you think this could be a reason no one fishes the river, lack of ammentities?
Could you or anyone else recommend any other decent water near to where i live (Calverton). Again, any info greatly appreciated.

N

NottmDon

No Andy they aren't fished as much because people flock to the commercials. The river can be heart breaking at times but it offers a challenge and thats what fishing should be about. Be careful at Gunthorpe the car parks have indeed been targetted a few times as the scum sucking pond life know that anglers and walkers will leave their cars unattended for some time.If you like a good days float fishing you could drive to Stoke Bardolph and fish just below Severn Trents sewage outfall (not as bad as it sounds lol) the water temperature there means a good days fishing can be had on the stick as the fish shoal up and you can park at back of your peg as well.
Are the 90s pegs at Caythorpe easy to get to? I have thought of having a go there myself but time as not allowed it this season. If one can park and keep an eye on the car as well as fish it would definately be an advantage.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Don
You can park right behind your peg right along that stretch up to where the road veres away from the river. Years ago when i fished with the winter leagues the farmer allowed us to take our cars through the gate into the field to deposit our gear and bring the car back to the road but i dont think that situation is still in place. Im not sure but i think the last peg before the gate is around 100 so youve got plenty of available pegs to go at. Tight lines from Mick and all the best for xmas and the new year.

N

NottmDon

Thanks for the information Michael. I recall fishing a match at Hazleford when the farmer loaded all the anglers onto the back of a trailer and drove over a couple of fields before dropping us off. I was in a bad way at the time after a spinal operation and thought it was great to get a lift to the pegs. Unfortunately my peg was at the bottom of a big bank and they actually lowered me down on a rope lol! Caught some huge chub as I recall but they must have been hollow as they didnt weigh what they looked like. A few other guys caught similar fish that looked like 4 or 5lbers but weighed in at 2 and 3lb. Strange kind of day that was! All the best to you for 2006.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Don.
The pegs that produced when i fished at caythorpe were from 74 down to 84 and then right down through the field in the 120s. The 90s must have come on strong in the last 10 years or so because i can never remember them winning but thats probably because we nearly allways fished the far bank feeder and the barbel may have been under our feet.

Andy Leivers 2

Reaction score
Don
there is a large lay by just before you get to the nursing home, if you drive to the top end of this lay by you can then drive down the bank. ive been told the best pegs are 90 to 93, but be careful the bank isnt very wide and there is a slight incline onto the road, i couldnt get up this and had to reverse the 100 or so yards back up the bank(not very nice in the dark and you are only 6 foot from the river) Also had some really cheeky rats who kept trying to nick my bait box, there wre 6 of them lined up at one stage. Was taking to some chap there who said some decent barbel have been coming out on pellets, he said you dont have to chuck it out very far either( plenty of rocks & gravel!)He also advised bits of steak on the hook & mince in the feeder, sounds a bit expensive taht one though. All the best for 2006.

Paul Hayes

Reaction score
This time of year with the river carrying extra water I'd be tempted to fish on the edge of a slack with the humble lob worm as bait. Your not going to bag up at present but you can pick up some very big chub and perch and the odd barbel using this method.
The road stretch at Caythorpe is a good place to start, and if the weather turns foul there is a decent pub only yards away.

Paul

john turner 3

Reaction score
going to caythorpe again on sunday 12/02/06
with my mate he's going to fish steak and mince on the feeder,river permitting I am going to try minced fish in the feeder and fish strip on the hook any advice ,comments
would be gratefully accepted.feel free to e-mail me on userjohn1429@aol.com thanks in advance