Suggestions required please,

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I currently have two unhooking mats.

For normal use I use the Fox Classic Unhooking Mat, which is very compact and rolls into a neat bundle for carrying, etc, but big enough for the carp from waters I fish.

When I go to France, I use a Fishrite Euro Mega Mat. This is mahoosive!! It does the job and is big enough for the biggest of carp. However, it really is too big!

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to compromise fish care/safety, but I'm after a new mat which offers me size, quality & sufficient care, but does not take up so much room in the car.

Its difficult trolling through internet sites and choosing, and can be equally frustrating touring around the local tackle shops, because they will only stock a certain few!

So, with this in mind, any suggestions from you chaps would be great?

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Thanks Eddie, it really does need to be big enough for the big French kippers! (not that I ever seem to catch em though!)

E

EC

In that case Malc it probably aint big enough mate, I've got a chub snooper which is huge though the space factor will make it unsuitable!

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Cheers anyway mate. ;o)

The problem I have with the Fishrite one is that it is 34" x 26" x 10", and whilst this may not sound a lot, that is folded shut! The padding is very firm and so can't be stuffed in amongst things in the car. It just takes up too much room!

Opened out it is no better (34" x 52" x 5")

E

EC

Philistine I might be, Malc but what about a great big piece of thick plastic sheeting folded over a few times?

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Most venues in France insist on proper job mats mate, and of a minimum size too!

E

EC

Gotchya, and fair enough I suppose!

The chub snooper one I have will double as a sling/rod holdall!

It is not designed for that purpose but its about 4/5ft long and could take the place of a rod holdall if you weren't actually carrying the gear too far!

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Thanks Les, but looking at the dimensions on the above site, it may even be bigger?

I wonder how big it is folded away in its bag? Hmmmm??

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Is the problem with the fox 1 that its not thick enough or that its not long enough?
I bought the fox without looking at it and felt it was a bit thin so i have a nash cheapy which i put underneath it.

L

Les Clark

Malc ,mybe mine is smaller than the Terry Hearn ,it is in the same style ,have had it a couple of years ,when folded up and put in the carry bag ,about the size of a shopping bag and still can be crunched up more .

C

Cakey

Malc we used to use a pump up boat in France,it was brill dunno why I stopped using it !
takes up no space at all

B

Big Rik

I've got the TH/JRC Euro zip mat, that Les linked to.
I got one for StuD too, as he liked mine so much.
They fold up to a quarter the size (in half, then in half again) and come with their own stuff/stink bag.
As les said, about the size of a carrier bag.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I went for the above mate the JRC Euro Zip Mat.

Nice and compact when folded up into the bag, and nice and big when opened up on the ground too.

Best of both! And its a quarter of the size of my other one!!!

Thanks lads!