sinking pole floats

colsmiff

Reaction score
Just got back from a short dusk session on the pole. Caught a couple of roach early on but after an hour my pole float decided it would sit lower in the water, so much so that the bristle barely broke surface- not exactly easy to spot in low light conditions. My guess is that the float was absorbing water. Are there any remedies available?

Beecy

Reaction score
Yes

you can seal your floats with dope, you could carry a small tin of clear grease with you - just smear it on the amount of bristle you want to show.

I don't see why you should have to piss about like that though, don't buy cheap pole floats, especialy the ones in bargain trays that have been knocked about.

recently I've been using the floats made by gerrys in nottingham, the seal and finish is spot on so they take on no water, my preston floats have been fairly reliable too.

I dont think pole floats in general are as good a quality as they used to be though, I've got some ignesti and milo floats that are the best part of 20 years old and they stil look as good as any in my box.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Try giving them a coating of acrylic paint which is waterproof and longlasting, I always used to paint all my floats with black acrylic and the tops either black or white and found this covered all lights. Acrylic is only thinly applied and light as well so it won't affect your shotting too much.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Time you got a haircut Graham .....

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Take some pole float grease with you. Preston Innovations do some.

By dipping the float tip in the grease you can determine how much of teh tip shows (within reason).

As others have said above, buy quality pole floats as they are usually better sealed.

mr chubblybarbel

Reaction score
hi colsmiff.
the reason for your float sinking low in water is: cold air temperature coupled with high air pressure causes more downforce(gravity), also water is less dense when its colder at this time of year, this in turn means you require bigger floats at this time of year to get same degree of bouancy. You say you had a short session on the Pole! Where's the river pole? :)
regards. Chubbly