Items of tackle that you have found

flightliner

Reaction score
You have just arrived at the waterside and looking around for a suitable place to put all your kit you see an item/s of tackle that the previous occupior of the swim has left behind.
What have you found in the past?

chav professor

Reaction score
Bank sticks! but to be fair, i'm about even on that score. I always have a special affection for a float if I have rescued it from a tree. The thing I always leave behind are forceps and baiting catapults. I bet someone has a lovely collection of them somewhere:rolleyes:

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
Never that lucky realy the odd float and bomb, however I have only lost a few disgorgers.

Brother found a tfg unhooking mat though.

Last edited:

nick dv

Reaction score
Bank sticks, floats, weights, on the plus side then discarded hooks, line etc on the downside :mad:

Cheers, Nick :)

flightliner

Reaction score
Along with the usual bit n pieces I once found a carpsack with a very dead common in it on a water near clay cross/Chesterfield, the water specifically had a rule that all fish be returned. Back in october last year I was a guest on a stretch of private river Trent. As such I was very kindly given first choice of swim and then my friend left me to go further downstream. At the edge of the river were two reelcases that the last occupant had left behind, I was tempted to open them but left them exactly where they lay without touching them. An hour later my friend came by to see how things were going and he asked what or who the cases belonged to, I told him that he would be better opening them and then returning them to the rightful owner which he did - the owner was found and I was thanked. Inside were lots of expensive braids, rig bits and spare spools.A lot of moneys worth.On another pit I found a rod and reel (hot summer-low water level)that had been like as not pulled in by a carp while the owner was asleep or away from his/her rods-- shameful!
What I am looking for tho is someone telling us that they once found a bedchair on a trent valley gravel pit and a forty two inch carp landing net on another one by the side of the A1 near newark cos they're MINE!!

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

I once found a mitchell match 440 in perfect condition - in 1983
Shaun-- was it a lefty?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
about 42 years ago I was looking for a swim on the river Gade in Cassiobury park in Watford. I found a green canvas shoulder bag left in a swim.
After a while I thought hmmmm, well nobodys come back for it so I opened it.
Inside was a collection of cork and balsa floats , perch dibbers , toppers, avons etc all perfect. As dusk fell and nobody came to retrieve them I took them home.
I still have one in my kitchen which is a cork bodied topper float which would probably take 4 swan shot. Obviously not for the Gade.........

The commonest thing I seem to find these days are disgorgers , and funnily enough are the commonest thing I lose........

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Only odd and sods for me, though best of the bunch was a catapoult, cheepy though. Fortunately, not lost anything apart from a dropped hook or split shot though I did lose a fly box that was full, got it back the next day where I had dropped it.
My brother in law found a landing net on a water that was part of a hydro electric sceme, he found it when the water was down.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
usual for me floats, bombs,

i've left a few good bankstick behind :(

One morning gettign up early to go fishing I found £105 lying in the road - well no point in leaving it there - I "invested" it wisely in a new rod and a few bits and pieces

xenon

Reaction score
not found much but managed to kick a trudex into the grand union at Tring. Doh! only about 4 foot in the margin but it was January and no way was I going in to retrieve it!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I seem to have acquired a good collection of Drennan pike floats and I've never bought one.

I usually have a look through all the flotsam that ends up on the bank after a little flood and usually find a float or two amongst 20 or so disposable gas lighters, why do people just chuck them in the river? Also shoes, but I've never found two that match, or at least not in my size.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Still beautifully and thickly enamelled, rusting around the edges a bit, brown-and-white bit of iron that produced a winter-time (freezing in skinny Levis and a "windcheater", with just a Thermos and a Radio 1 "Trannie" [old meaning] between the Big Freeze and Little Me) , light-float-tackle bite on the Thames near Windsor when I was fourteen: a 1930 Thames Conservancy Motor Launch Licence. On the desk in front of me, now.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Once found a 20 crystal bend hook in the long grass, whilst looking for a 8s shot i had dropped, never found the shot

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Obviously didn't look hard enough!!

I don't find much and I make every effort not to leave too much...The last thing I always do is move all the packed gear away from the swim and then have a good look around before leaving.As I walk back to the car I mentally go through packing rods and reels.........................BUT I have left a pair of waterproofs hanging in a tree only to find them three days later-they were dry so no harm done!

....I hate losing gear through stupidity...!!

dannytaylor

Reaction score
I Was lure fishing on the canal using heavy braid and jerkbaits, got snagged and due to the braid managed to drag half a tree in. On it was a lovely big s plug, on a later date i managed to catch a 3Ib perch on this lure whilst trolling so it was a great find :)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I Was lure fishing on the canal using heavy braid and jerkbaits, got snagged and due to the braid managed to drag half a tree in. On it was a lovely big s plug, on a later date i managed to catch a 3Ib perch on this lure whilst trolling so it was a great find :)

Can I have my plug back please:D

Last edited:

stikflote

Reaction score
as young ladwhen fishing local town lake got snagged pulled and up came a rod bag ,inside a ABU mark 5 zoom, all coverd in slime ,i washed at water side ,took it home washed in soapy water checked it over lol in good nick i had that rod about ten years lol ,till finally
i trapped it in a door,,i tried to use butt section for some thing else couldnt cut it,inside was a aluminium tube lol

mol

Reaction score
As a kid I use to fish a local reservoir and whenever the water was down we used to go hunting for bombs and swimfeeders.

I've found loads of spods, marker floats etc. My best find was a set of 3 fox Eos's and reciever but it seemed too expensive to keep so I managed to track down the owner.

flightliner

Reaction score
Just remembered, back in the eighties I was on the tidal Trent, as the water receded I could see a piece of green material that turned out to be a big umberella that had been blown inside out or having been blown in, It had broken around the top centre wiring. I managed to get it out and repair it at home , I had it for many years until it finally died.