Digital Cameras

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am hoping that one or more of our FM contributors can help me out.

I have a Fuji digital camera, about 3 years old which when purchased was the top of the range model.

I had a problem with the memory card, which ended up being useless.

Now, I am told that the manufacturers no longer make, or sell, the old style larger, 'floppy' type of cards.

So, does anyone have a 'spare' that they would like to sell, or across the Country as our members are wide-spread, do you know of anywhere that I might be able to obtain one?

Cheers,

B

Big Rik

what's the camera model type and what type of card is it Peter?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Rik,

I have it at home but I can post the detaqils tomorrow.

The card though is the older style cards that are larger than the new ones and were very thin, almost 'floppy'

Not much help really, but then I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to this stuff.

I'll post the details when I get them from 'her indoors'.

Cheers,

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I think I know what the cards are Peter.

Similar to what I hade on my Fuji about 4 years ago.

I gave my son that camera and it went all wrong. Was not a good camera at all, dreadful controls and not very user friendly either. I was glad to replace it with a canon G6.

Superb bit of kit.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron,
Lynn brought the camera over to Paris for the weekend and we wasted about 3 hours trying to get a new card.

I gave up in the end, in absolute frustration, and bought the new version of the same Fuji, but I am going to keep the old one for fishing, that is why I need to get a replacement card.

Dave German

Reaction score
What you want is a smartmedia card, you canstill get them on ebay and the last big batch of 128mb cards is due inthe country at the end of the month, these are waiting for them http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/sm.html
at ?11.10 + p&p. Ron, I bought a fuji finepix 3 years ago, never had a simpler or mor reliable camera for fishing, have not touched my slr since (far to complicated for fishing)

Dave German

Reaction score
these memory cards have a definite life, How else are they going to ensure you buy a new camera.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave,

Thank you. I am going to order 3 so I can keep using the camera, which is very simple as you say.

The annoying thing is that the so called top of the range (prefessional) cameras really ought to have a shelf life of more than 3/4 years.

I have a pair of SLR Canon A1 bodies that I bought in the late 70's (or early 80's - memory going these days) that are still going strong and I'm told i can still get repairs etc.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Try getting them from here Peter, they have quite a good range of memory cards and they are the cheapest you will find too. Obviously you can't look until you know the full title of the camera then feed the info in and hopefully you will come up trumps.

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
Don't you think its about time they came up with 1 style of card for all as its getting ridiculous
I have
a)Sony Cybershot p5 that takes memory sticks
b)pentax optio x(the mrs's)that takes sd cards
c)Canon g6 (my fishing cam) that takes compact flash
d)medion sat nav that takes sd
e)Olympus i-robe cam (daughters)that takes xd cards
f)sony ericsson k750i that takes memery stick duo(the little ones)
g) my old sony ericsson p800 that takes the same

over the past three years it has cost me a fortune in different cards and it is about time there was an industry standard like the old betamax/vhs war so one comes out on top,then again thats not good sales business is it?

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
incidently if anyone wants a phone that takes decent shots get a k750i(2mp)or the w800i and then buy the flash unit off ebay(13quid) as they are superb and stop the need for taking the proper cam on trips or if i forget it its great as a back up.
I was blown away by the results

sorry hi-jacking thread....carry on

G

Ged

Peter try www.directphoto.co.uk
Memory could be smartmedia. I too have a fuji and this takes smartmedia cards. Larger but thinnerthan later cards. they go up to 128 mb.

Tried to generate a link but it did not work.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ged,

Thanks - I have just managed to buy 2 Smartmedia Cards for Fujifinepix online at the link you supplied.

Thanks to evryone who helped out.

Cheers,

Peter - who hopefully will now be a 'happy-snapper'

:)

B

Big Rik

the things is matzzzzzzzz, cards are for ever changing as they become physically smaller, have larger storage capacity and use less battery power.

The latest reduced size MMC cards are 512mb, are about 25mm square and only draw 1.8v, cost about ?20.

As we as consumers demand more, smaller, better, faster and cheaper, then the market has to move.
Those that stay on top are those that can meet the demand quickest, if that means making something different, then so be it.

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
yeh I know,the sony ones are tiny now,I suppose when infinity is reached then we will see a generic card made in the future that fits everything and will probably have all your records and details on that you carry around like a credit card.

B

Big Rik

more likely the size of a postage stamp than a credit card, but I know what you mean.

C

Chris Bishop

I have a pair of SLR Canon A1 bodies that I bought in the late 70's (or early 80's - memory going these days) that are still going strong and I'm told i can still get repairs etc...."

Was going to get my daughter Nikons when she started doing photography at college but couldn't believe how cheap the FD manual lenses are, so got her an A1.

First multi-mode camera they made, seriously awesome bit of kit in its day.

Some of the old lenses are much better than the plasticky modern junk.

Micheal Bavister

Reaction score
these still stock smartmedia cards,ebuyer i buy them from them for my PDA the viking ones are pretty good they used to have the 512mb ones but now it looks like you can only gey the 128mb ones

W

Wolfman Woody

I would have thought that an old moneybags like you, Jacobs, would have had a cupboard full of all the latest digital cameras and buy a new one when the card supplied gets full. :eek:)

Have you got any in mahogany or teak? Rebuilt to the highest standards, of course.