Stocked Salmon

S

Shrek

Just reading a thread on another forum where a chap has posted a picture of an 8lb salmon he caught from Ellerdine Lakes Fishery.

Apparently they have stocked somewhere in the region of 250+ salmon from 8lb to 47lb, the heaviest caught so far being 27lb.

Graham, have you been and tried for these at all?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

47 lb salmon!!

Where did they get that thing from?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I know Graham and I and a couple of others have tried a lake near me which has salmon in to 55 lbs ....

Tom Rigby 2

Reaction score
Cut out the middle man. Fish the pellet in one of the cages on a west highlands sea loch.

fishy pete

Reaction score
''cut out the middle man ,and fish pellet in one of the cages on a west highland sea loch''can u please tell me tom, where the diffrence lie's between a pellet fed,pond reared rainbow and a cage reared pellet fed salmon? could any-one tell us what type of salmon we are talking about?if its landlocked salmon,i didn't think they got that big ? also if its migratory salmon,surely that must raise some morality issues,stocking them into a lake ,with no way in or out?

fishy pete

Reaction score
thats rather obvious tom,ETHICALY whats the differance between stocking the two into lakes?

Tom Rigby 2

Reaction score
Billy,

Although I might occasionally fish for stillwater rainbows it isn't something I've done for a few years.

Although the stillwater rainbow revolution brought fly fishing to a wider audience I'm not sure that in retropect it is something that we would want to repeat with salmon.

I suspect that once taken out of the salt these fish will decline pretty quickly. Much quicker than rainbows do. Unless someone has secretly developed sexless triploid freshwater feeding Atlantic Salmon.

Personally I'd rather do as many blanks as is needed to catch a real wild salmon on the nearby severn.

G

Ged

I remember Penine trout fishery stocking salmon some years ago.
After several weeks not one was fit for anything, black and mankey, full of fungus.

P

Phil Barnes

i caught a stocked salmon ages ago,i think it was at shatterford lakes,like dragging in a log.no fun,no pleasure

fishy pete

Reaction score
ed, maybe you can answer my question.WHAT SPECIES OF SALMON ARE WE TALKING ABOUT? landlocked salmon or migratory salmon?perhaps you know ron? i am asking because i didn't think landlocked salmon got much past ten pounds? and if they are atlantic farmed salmon surely thats unethical????

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The landlocked salmon (Salmo salar - the same as the Atlantic salmon) is native to Parts of North America. Instead of running to sea they run into large freshwater lakes to feed and then migrate up rivers or feeder streams to spawn.

In the wild, they do not grow as big as the sea going salmon as there is not as much food in the deep cold glacial lakes they frequent as in the sea. A five pounder is a good one.

Yet those who know them claim they are the hardest fighters of any species size for size in the world!!

I have caught only one land locked salmon in my life. It was in a SA lake in 1999 where they had been stocked. It had to be released straight away. It was about 3 lbs and went like a torpedo as well as jumping high on several occasions.

fishy pete

Reaction score
thanks ron,but at begining of thread adrian stated that ellerdine fisherys had stocked salmon to 47lbs,now i am presuming these fish are atlantic salmon from a fish farm,not a landlocked salmon, now as you say these salmon dont get very large,but are perfectly adapted to life in stillwaters,where as atlantic salmon are not,which takes us back to the question of ethics...............or is the size of these fish just a case of another one armed fisherman telling the story of the one that got away?OR possibley the fishery are elaborating on size of fish to pump up trade,it does happen.

R

What is important to understand is that to spawn naturally, a salmon needs fairly shallow running water flowing over gravel. Even a land locked salmon requires this. They will NOT spawn in stillwaters - period!

There is not much difference in the way land locked or sea running salmon behave in the wild. One feeds in large lakes, the other feeds in the sea; BOTH run up streams to spawn. Both can be bred artificially in farms by stripping the cocks and hens of course.

But the truth of the matter is that genetically there is no difference between the two. Both are termed scientifically - Salmo salar.

fishy pete

Reaction score
yes ron all fine and well but ones evolved to suvive in fresh water, and the other is evolved to live in salt water,no? I.E. one feeds in fresh water the other dos'nt, so we are back to a question of ethics again arn't we ? and i take it you dont know which ''STRAIN ''of salmo salar Ellerdine are stocking then?

R

No idea Billy.

But I'm willing to bet that they are probably manky with damaged fins.

fishy pete

Reaction score
more than likely ron, unless of course there landlocked and they are in a fishery that suits there requirments.

CAT

Reaction score
Tofft Newton Reservoir used to stock Landlocked Salmon and i bet you didn't know this Billy Boy, they stocked 100 tagged Landlocked Salmon in Ladybower a few years back, they were all arround 3-5lb mark Alan Dunn caught one i think, ask him about it, was either him or Geoff Slater the ground baiter.