Its changed again!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
To be totally honest Jonny . . . not much!

Why have we gone back to the listing of Tackle and Items from the reviews?

Old saying springs to mind - again:

If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

njb51

Reaction score
"Why have we gone back to the listing of Tackle and Items from the reviews?"

Which bit are you talking about Peter?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Underneath the 'Latest Articles' we get the Review Section again.

Personally, I only come onto FM for the Articles and the craik in the forums but I have to say that I far preferred the old homepage (in fact the one we had prior to April) to this, or its' predecessor.

Why exactly is it felt necessary to change it?
Change for the sake of change is usually labour in vain, IMHO.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It isn't being done for the sake of change Peter, believe me, there's far too much work involved for the editorial side as well as the tech boys.

The change is intended to make the site more user friendly, although we do realise that we have no chance of pleasing everybody. We're just hoping to please the majority. Some members want a very busy home page with new stuff staying there as long as possible, whilst others would rather have very little on the home page apart from big pictures and big headlines.

Neither are wholly right, but we're aiming to reach a reasonable compromise that has an appearance that is as welcoming as possible whilst still showing visitors that we have a lot 'under the skin'.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

I do understand how much work is necessary in changing the appearance, and I really didn't mean to sound like a smart-arse. If anyone thought just that, then I appologise, it was not my intention.

I am one of those that just happens to think that the older version was:
a) More welcoming
b) More user friendly (w.r.t. Articles)
c) More informative - with a bigger listing of new and 'nearly new' articles.
d) Whilst satisfying the advertisement needs still didn't come across as a 'Shopping Site'

To tell the truth, the pre-April change version was really good and achieved just what you are saying; it was Welcoming and gave a good idea of what was beneath the skin.
I thought the older version with the 'headline' of the latest article and the larger picture was more like an on-line angling newspaper and as such it appeared friendly and almost invited you inside. Just like a good newspaper does - informative headline to get you to open the pages, but with enough 'meat' to help you navigate your way around.

Once again, I do appologise if I came across like a stick-in-the-mud jerk.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I didn't take it like that Peter, just as it was, your usual constructive and appreciated criticism which I thank you for.

L

Les Clark

I feel that it is rather fussy ,but a lot on there for a new member or non member to think about before they get on to the forum .
I can still find new article`s ,so fine with me .

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I think it's better than last time. No large white spaces. It still doesn't do too well on 800x600 screens.

I appreciate how difficult it is to fit so much information on the screen in one go but I have to agree it's still a little too busy.

It's getting there though.

B

BLAM

I agree with Matt: it's better than last time. It was somewhat sad to see a frontpage with articles from 2002 on it.

Couldn't the Catfish picture link to the article itself and not the gallery though? Otherwise its a bit confusing IMO. The ACA and "Thief" links opposite link to articles.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I think there is too much of the page (at the bottom)taken up with all the listing for the review section

S

Steve King

I like it, but the ACA & Nutcracker stories at the top right of the page are a bit mixed up!

Is the link generator still around? I can't seem to find it.

S

Steve King

-and as soon as I return to the main page the stories have been sorted out!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Brad,

I don't agree.

Having a good selection of articles on the opening page (regardless of their date of origin,) showed newcomers that the site had depth in quality as well as quantity.

Over the years this site has been growing almost exponentially and one of the main reasons, IMHO, is that the articles have been of exceptional quality with the back-up of a really good reference section to past articles.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Matt,

Yes, FM pre April 2005 :)

Seriously, I don't know of another site as I really only have time for this one.

Simply stated I just preferred the older layout, I saw nothing wrong with it and (like Mark) thought it was more friendly, welcoming, informative and easy to navigate around.

The old FM opening page reminded me a little of the old style AT before it went through the disasterous 'Sun-stage' before returning to what we see today.

pete proctor

Reaction score
Be fair, how can they possibly hope to provide a home page that gives you a comprehensive window to what lies under the skin without it being busy? Its got to be one or the other or a fair compromise of the two, and I think theyve got that now. I think this is the best yet that theyve got now.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Matt, I've just spent a few minutes clicking around some of the sites.

Maggotdrowning.com with its black background and multi-coloured text is (to my mind) very unattractive.

BFW, again with a black background and you have to search around the menus to find what interests you.

The Barbel Society's page I thought was somewhat sparse, and I really dislike animations on adult web sites, even the Sensas animation I skip quickly on their site.

I personally don't like drop down menus preferring to see the range of topics available by clicking on the title (are those HTML's?) I'm not being deliberately obtuse, I just know little or nothing about web page terminology.

The old style FM page had lists of articles, by category for; Beginners, News & Politics, Technique etc.
This to my eye was very informative, and when I first came to FM I clicked away for literally hours on end reading a vast selection (from the front page) of very good articles.

I don't use the reviews section all that much, in fact hardly at all, much the same way as I don't buy my tackle on the Internet, as I want to go to a local shop and handle the rod, reel or whatever myself.

I am not a complete luddite and I realise that things do and will change, and yet I still prefer the old AT to the new one as it somehow seemed, well more adult really.