Canoeists, no respect for anglers?

fishy pete

Reaction score
what the hell are we going to do if canoeists are granted the rights of access along all stretches of waterway in u.k?.derbyshire dewent at matlock is a prime example of what i am tring to say,there can be miles of empty river and the god -damn canoeists will all park in front of you and start performing there water-bourne gymnastics on top of your carfully fed chub/grayling swim and scatter your fish all over river.it wouldent be so bad ,but when you confront canoe riders,you are more than likely to be told to f***k of, by a spotty faced youth who dos'nt understand the consiquences of his actions,or is just not bothered.maybe the governing bodys of angling and canoeing could put ther heads together if said access is granted and lay down a few guidlines for behavior of EITHER side ?

Wayne T

Reaction score
I am in total agreement, the canoeists who use the stretch of the Thames near me are a complete nightmare who seem to have no regard whatsoever for any anglers in the area, even when they can clearly see exactly where you are casting to. I have hooked several in the past but unfortunately my gear has always been a bit too light to land any of the buggers.

fishy pete

Reaction score
tip for you Wayne,pike rod,15lbs line,and a size 2/0 treble!! the morons dont escape then!!lol

Beecy

Reaction score
A well aimed pouchfull of bronze and reds usualy sends them on their way, especialy effective with lady canoe-ers in those open topped kyak thingys.

If they are too far out a good sized pebble will do the trick.

fishy pete

Reaction score
p.s. bit of salt n pepper,sqeeze of lemon, 20 mins either side under grill there quite tastey!O and dont forget to remove hard outer shell before cooking!!lol

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Bill.
As you know I was fishing just upstream of you on the Fish In.
I had a call from one of the lads to see if I knew where those canoeists that came past us had launched from.
The Ribble is non navigable and they shouldn't have been on there.

My best canoeist story happened in the Lake District on the River Derwent.
I was the only person fishing when a group of canoeist came past me, all except for the last one who decided to pull his canoe up the steep bank about ten feet from me.

He then balanced his canoe over the edge of the bank half and half, then got back in it.

His intention was to launch himself back into the river obviousely disturbing my swim.

When he launched himself, the front of his canoe stuck in the river bed, and the back end was lodged firmly on the bank.

I sat there laughing me cock off as he was stranded in mid air shouting -: Will somebody please help me?

I shouted to him.
No chance smart arse, you can stay there all night for all I care.

P

Phil Barnes

i have the same problem sometimes when im beach fishing.i find a three hook trace with size 1/0 hooks and a 6 oz spiked lead can be a usefull method.to add pleasure i always like to gaff them under the chin.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was going to mate, but the others were comeing back for him.
I was going to pick the back end up and drop him down the bank, to try and break it in half. He had a narrow escape.

The amazing thing is Bill, he wasn't scum like you or me, he looked like a decent bloke (o

A speed boater had me in the same week in a little bay. He revved his boat all over my swim area. Then he parked it up and went home.
I had about five pound of sloppy ground bait left, and nowhere to put it.

Then I had a good idea. Hahahahaaaaaa.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The temptation to fill the catty pouch with maggot or groundbait is readily understandable.

However, if EDM957 is passed (unamended) then we, the angling fraternity, will have a whole new set of problems to deal with and in an ongoing, and quite legal situation.

In the main most canoists don't have a clue about what anglers are doing, or how we do it.
I also don't think that the vast majority of them would deliberately plough through your well prepared swim if they did.

I used to fish the annual Scandinavian Masters Festival in Sweden and in the inaugural year we had a problem with canoists which almost got very much out of hand.

The following year we entertained all of the local canoe clubs to a 'teach-in' complete with a buffet and free drinks and carefully explained to them how what they were doing affected our sport.

I wonder if angling clubs (in the UK) who share waters with canoists might not think that this is a pretty good idea as well?

Alternatively, Billyboy's suggestions might just become par for the course ;-)

Wayne T

Reaction score
Education is certainly what is needed, particularily from the Canoeists point of view. Some of them don't even seem to realise that there is actually line leading from the end of the rod into the water - until they find themselves in a bit of bother that is!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
One of the problems as I see it is that the BCU have a large and reasonably well organised lobbying group which has been set-up for quite a while.

There is a certain logic to their argument that piggy backs onto the Right to Roam laws recently (and IMHO sadly) introduced in England.

Indeed, the BCU's form letter includes the following, quote:

"I urge the Government to give me the same access to rivers as they have to the rest of the countryside so not only can I have the right to roam but also the right to paddle."

Given that canoists are viewed by the general population as being pretty much; middle class harmless anoraks, I can see where they might well get a lot of MP support.

Just my view of course, others may differ.

fishy pete

Reaction score
educate,educate,educate thats all that can be done.all joking aside lads both canoeists and anglers will have to learn to get along.we can just about manage it with boats on canals and rivers,so surely we can do the same with canoeists?? as far as i can see its up to governing bodies on both sides to set a few guidelines for both sides to follow I.E.possible code of conduct to be drawn up?

Dave Pickstone

Reaction score
Ho ho, as a canoeist i'll probably get shot for being on here but i thought i'd pipe up.

Billy Boy is spot on, its all about education and the problem is theres a lot of poor trainers out there that teach us a lot of bad habits. Of course in any sport theres a load of arrogant idiots that go out of their way to spoil things, and we want to get rid of them just as badly! Our club had quite a good trainer that taught us to pay attention to anglers etc and stay well clear, no point causing hassle.

So yeh a bit of education wouldnt hurt, get in touch with the BCU - they will help get the point across to canoeists.

Just so I know though, is there still a big effect if we paddle on the otherside of the river? (im thinking quite a largish flat river not the tiny hardcore no fish rivers) What would be the best way to disturb you lot as little as possible?

Lol, "middle class harmless anoraks"! A good portion of canoeists these days are students - which kind of explains why we do stupid things, get in the way and show very little common sense (unintentionally)

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What would be the best way to disturb you lot as little as possible?
Learning a few manners would help.

Appart from that, take up walking.

fishy pete

Reaction score
nice to hear from you dave,one of the best things to do is move RIGHT across to far side of river and NOT start performing canoe gymnastics in front of the only angler for miles around. but a little bit of common sense from both sides would be a good starting point dont you think?

fishy pete

Reaction score
at the end of the day ALL OUR WATERWAYS are for EVERYONE to enjoy ,so it would be in everyones interest if some common ground could be reached,which unfortunatly boils down to governing bodies sitting down and drawing up set codes of conduct for either side to follow,but as we all no this could take a lot of doing as most governing bodies are run by pen pushing burocrates who are only interested in there own ends. no ,i think what it boils down to is just plane old common sense,or lack of it!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
When i was on the Wye this summer. The majority of canoiest made eye contact and slowed down giving me time to direct them to the best route. As you say Dave even your sport as morons and these just ignore you and ploughed into my lines where i nearly gerotted them with the 12Ib line. Must admit though a lot did look like tourist who had just hired a boat for the day with little knowledge of the river and its ways.

As Baz says some manners is all thats needed from both sides. If the angler is hidden in the bankside vegitation then he must make his location none to the canoeist.

Dave. Do canoist have to be licenced like anglers to use the waterways.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave, my closing comment was rhetorical.

Read the full sentence for the complete meaning ;-)

If canoists simply slowed down and gave anglers the widest possible berth and did not attempt to splash the surface or attempt eskimo rolls then I think that would be a great beginning.

You have to remember that anglers may have been in that swim for hours, since first light, and have been baiting and gradually building up the swim. Then to have it ruined, albeit temporarily, by inconsiderate actions is highly aggravating.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't worry Dave, I was just testing the water to see how much patience you had.

Please don't try to tell me that canoeists do not know what they are doing when they do a roll in my swim, or spin around in a circle, skulling I think it is called.

We have had this kind of ignorance from the boats on the canal systems for years.