Thermometer

stikflote

Reaction score
does any one use a Thermometer for water temps when fishing,?
i been wondering whether or not to buy one,im told at a water temp of 4 degrees,its a waste of time fishing.

Any know of any worth buying,? cant remember seeing any in tackle shop,
but then not been looking

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Never bothered myself. If I feel like going fishing, I go. Have even cracked the ice and fished successfully, then again I have blanked on an ideal day. I'd be gutted if I yanked all my tackle to a water, taken temp and found it less than 4 degrees only to go home again. I'd rarther take my chance and fish.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
If you want a thermometer get an aquarium thermometer from Maplins, here it is. They've got a long enough lead on the sensor and they have a sensible battery life (mine last at least a season).

I find a thermometer useful. It's not so much about the exact water temperature as whether it is rising or falling. It's amazing how much the water temperature varies from river to river even if they are quite close. For example last week the Wharfe was a couple of degrees warmer than the Swale. By using a thermometer you can buils up a picture of likely water temperatures at your local venues and make better choice of where to go at particular times of the year.