Building a split cane rod

K

Kevan Farmer

Does anybody have any experience of building a split cane coarse rod? Preferably in the not too distant past. I would just like some pointers and, indeed, hand holding really, regarding the process of building a set of formers. I would like to go down the road of getting some metal formers made not the single triangular strip method as advocated by **** Walker in his fine book on the subject. I've got plans so there are no problems there. I'm just a little unsure as to metal suppliers and some dimensions in the angled groove area.

Best of all, I have some seasoned - nodes pressed and ready - Chapman's Tonkin strips. They are beautifully straight and steely and will make about half a dozen very good carp/avon rods. Once I have the formers made that is :)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

45 years ago I could have told you where, what and how. Today, well that's difficult.

To get metal formers made is going to cost a bomb, unless you have access to a machine shop.

A decent joiner should be able to make you a good triangular former in hardwood. Again, it will not be cheap.

K

Kevan Farmer

Ron. You are probably correct in that it will cost a fair bit to get the formers made. I don't want to go down the wooden triangular former route if I can help it though. The two metal ones with a 60 degree channel down the middle is a better design with far more flexibility. I do have the plans and can make a set myself. It's just that not ever having done it before I am a bit nervous about it.

I've got suppliers listed for Tonkin and other bits and pieces. I don't really intend paying silly money for original agate lined rings either. I'll happily use some that I can get from Hopkins and Holloway. Cork...well that hasn't really changed much over the years :) Ferrules may be a bit difficult though I do know a certain famous reel builder who has a box full and will let me have some at a decent price.

Chavender. Some of those links I have but many I don't so I am very grateful for them, cheers.

Once I'm up and running I'll post up again on progress...don't watch this space any time soon though.

K

Kevan Farmer

I have just taken a look at one of the US sites offering ready made planing forms. For those who do not know, the planing form is simply two lengths of steel (they can actually be made out of hardwood) with a channel down the middle when they are placed side by side. This chanel gives a 60 degree 'V' shape which is how the strips of split cane are made. The forms are adjustable to allow differing tapers to be created. Now, the nasty bit...Ron you were definitely correct they are hideously expensive. I've seen nothing less than about US$300. Add to that p&p to over here and the price comes out at around UK?200+. The forms are admittedly labour intensive to make but that is a crazy price. So, it looks like knuckling down and getting some made myself. I have the plans it's just a matter of very accurate measuring and machining. The 'V' groove is probably the most labour intensive but simplest part of it all. An ordinary triangulr file set into a wooden holder wil do that. It just needs running up and down a good few times...

T

Tony Rocca

Kevan,
Sorry I didnt spot this sooner, I would have pointed you at the American ones, ok so they cost a few bob but are very versatile and well made. Bet it will cost more to have one made over here.
I have looked far and wide and not found anything in this country thats available off the shelf.

Once you have your blanks planed out, assembly is straight forward just take your time and use a good twin pack glue.

K

Kevan Farmer

That's ok Tony :) I have had some very good US sites bookmarked for some time but just haven't been able to do anything about it. A very good site I have found is this one
http://www.thomaspenrose.com/bamboo.htm

It has details of making a set planing forms. I have alos found out that I happen to live very close to possibly the worlds no 1 expert on making planing forms, Lawrence Waldron. He lives about 7 or 8 miles away from me :) I have his contact details but have not as yet been in touch.

Last night my sister told me of a small jobbing engineering shop that may be perfect for what I want. The guy who runs it is a regular customer at the shop that my sister works at is also a friend of her partner.
Hopefully I can get a good deal :)

John Worthington

Reaction score
Kevan, I am I'm the same frame of mind as you. I would love to be able to acquire split cane blanks at a reasonable price. We should have a production base in this country like in the US. They seem to cater for split cane with a passion, we dropped it when Fiberglas / carbon came on the scene. I am into restoring old split cane rods and would like to be able to make my own. The Penrose website is frequently visited by me and I have just had delivered a pair of 1" x 6ft square steel rods with a view to make my own forms (quite a daunting task I think). I have a few old MKIV rods with short length tops and at £90 each just the top section, (cheapest I can find) just fancied making my own.I think split cane should be revived.

S

Steve King

An interesting post Kevan. I can't be of any help whatosever, but ffs keeps us informed and post an article here or somewhere!!!