Review - Prestige Porterlite MkII Barrow

sagalout

Reaction score
This first post is more of a preview coz I ain't used it yet but it arrived today and having assembled and loaded it I thought I would give you my first impressions. Pictures will follow when the wife returns, with the camera, from spending the week with the latest grandchild (I have serious wind from to many curries :p).

Ordered late sunday night, arrived this morning (tuesday), good communications from the vendor first telling me the order was being processed and answering a note I had made on the order, secondly telling me it had been dispatched. So top marks for total-fishing-tackle.com.

The barrow arrived well boxed, original packaging from Prestige, and with plastic protectors on the "vulnerable" ends of the chassis.

First impressions on removing the packaging where that the finish is high quality, and the welds are first class, but the welds are only applied to two sides of the box frame rails (not 4 sides), time will tell if this is an issue but since it comes with a 2 year warranty I am guessing it is good enough.

Instructions are minimal but sufficient for a numpty like me to put it together.

First problem was the wheel assembly, the clips that hold the wheel in place could not be fitted because the spacers (some offcuts of tubing) where to long. Two minutes with a file cured this. I had read on one forum that the R clips used to retain the wheel where loose fitting and had a tendency to get lost, this alleged problem (Windy told me to say that :)) has been cured by using a clip that positively locks in place around the axle.

The second pause for thought was the bolts that hold the legs on, and form the pivot are supplied with three washers and not the four I would have expected and the bolts are not long enough for a fourth. Whilst being picky about the bolts and washers, these are black (japaned?) and are not stainless, I will watch for any signs of rust and replace with stainless if neccessary.

Having assembled it and loaded it up with the kit I would normall take for a day session, it feels very stable, light and easy to push, although the handles feel a little wingy wammy and I think (bearing in mind I know nothing) a brace between the two handles would be a nice addition.

More to follow when I have used it in anger.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Sagalout,

I've created a new REVIEW thread for you and copied your comments to that new one. see http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/...176016-prestige-porterlite-2-carp-porter.html

This is the best place for new item reviews because you can then award points to the product as can others. This way everyone can access them later for viewing or further commenting.

If anyone has any bought other products they would like to comment on in this way and can see how to introduce a new product to the Review section just whistle (PM me or someone else) for help.

Good description so far Saga, hope it all goes well for you!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sagalout,

Great detailed review.

I had the MkI some years ago and it lasted well enough.

One thing that really bugs me is when you buy a piece of kit that needs 'assembly' only to find that the bits don't fit!

Case in point is where Sagalout says he had to file the spacers, now I dont own a file, nor a vice to hold the workpiece either, so I'd be knackered.

Currently in my garage there are 250 quids worth of electric motor trolley and another 150 quids worth of trolling motor, neither of which I can damn well assemble, because the bits don't bluidy fit!

You'd think that before the manufacturers send these products out for sale that they would at least trial assemble them first, or maybe not in this modern age . . . . . .

Sorry, rant over . . . . . . .

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Currently in my garage there are 250 quids worth of electric motor trolley and another 150 quids worth of trolling motor, neither of which I can damn well assemble, because the bits don't bluidy fit!
Well, if they're no good to you, gis 'em 'ere - I'll take 'em off your hands to give you back your space in the garage. ;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Its okay Jeff, I'll wait until I can get a handy-man, to no doubt take all day to fit two supposedly simple bits of kit together and charge an arm and a leg to do it.

Honestly, it really makes me mad. I usually buy all of my kit from Dave Moody's shop where he takes the time to assemble things properly, sadly he didn't stock either of those items.

The electric golf buggy I bought from the professional at my golf club came ready assembled and tested and at about the same price as the fishing trolley too!

Exit's stage left, grumbling, mumbling and kicking the cat . . . . . .

PS; only joking about the cat, we don't have one here in the office . . . . . . . maybe I'll just do an Alf Garnett and go down the pub, or in my case the bar/bistro!

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
I've created a new REVIEW thread for you and copied your comments to that new one. see Prestige Porterlite 2 Carp Porter
Cheers (I think :j), so does this thread want deleting?

Can we mere mortals create review threads or does it have to be one of you god like figures? Don't bother, just found the review thread section thingy ma bob.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You're welcome.

No, not deleting. Use this to have a general chat and then use the other to put your final rating and comments.

& yes (not the god like bit, but thanks ;)), but you should add a few bits and pieces, not quite as simple as first appears.

It's just that on the old FM we had a brilliant library of user reviews with ratings and everything. Not only did members refer to them, but one dealer used to list them in his shop listing.

T'would be nice if we could build that up again.

sagalout

Reaction score
Yes, it's the old review library that first brought me to fishing magics!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Don't do with it what a friend of mine did with his carp barrow - lend it to someone doing a work party who then chucked a huge hundredweight straw bail onto it and bent the legs, snapped the frame, and knocked the wheel out of centre. Such roughness might be contrary to the terms of the guarantee. :D

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I've had various barrows over the years from a £30 trolley from Argos to a £200 MK4s Deluxe Prestige Carp Porter with many in between. The barrow i keep coming back to is the Porterlite2. It is simply the lightest, most compact, versatile and reliable barrow on the market. As with all barrows the underbarrow bag is a godsend in balancing it, but word of caution, the under barrow bag can rub a hole in itself on the wheel. A poor design but with care can be avoided.

I have added this to the review section

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
I saw elsewhere that he bag can.does rub through, when I get five minutes I am going to see if I can drop a hard plastic box type thing in place of it so that I can just lift it in and out at the car instead of having to faff about with straps to fold the barrow legs.

I have the camera back now (just a shame the missus came with it :p) so when the magic five minutes appears in my shedule I shall do some piccies of the things mentions in my review.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I am going to see if I can drop a hard plastic box type thing in place of it so that I can just lift it in and out at the car
Adaptations, I like it, I like it!

On my barrow, it's a Nash, I bought some 2" square stronge wire coated mesh and cut it to the size of the top, more or less. Then I tied it to the top with cable ties. Now it serves as a table when it's by my side on the bank, keeps everything out of the clag.