Prestige Porterlite 2 Carp Porter

sagalout

Reaction score
The manufacturer says -

Designed for the Angler wishing to travel light. Also in demand by the Angler who has little space in his car boot.
Features include the following:

• Designed to be light and strong.
  • Exclusive feature is the clever front bar which extends by as much as 15 inches to accommodate large holdalls or extra large bed chairs.
  • Set to become a firm favourite. Unbeatable with barrow bag. Ideal for River Specimen Hunter.
  • Limited offer available with free zip top barrow bag worth £29.95 making this the best value barrow on the market.

------------------------------------------------------------

This first post is more of a preview coz I ain't used it yet but it arrived today and having assembled and loaded it I thought I would give you my first impressions. Pictures will follow when the wife returns, with the camera, from spending the week with the latest grandchild (I have serious wind from to many curries :p).

Ordered late sunday night, arrived this morning (tuesday), good communications from the vendor first telling me the order was being processed and answering a note I had made on the order, secondly telling me it had been dispatched. So top marks for total-fishing-tackle.com.

The barrow arrived well boxed, original packaging from Prestige, and with plastic protectors on the "vulnerable" ends of the chassis.

First impressions on removing the packaging where that the finish is high quality, and the welds are first class, but the welds are only applied to two sides of the box frame rails (not 4 sides), time will tell if this is an issue but since it comes with a 2 year warranty I am guessing it is good enough.

Instructions are minimal but sufficient for a numpty like me to put it together.

First problem was the wheel assembly, the clips that hold the wheel in place could not be fitted because the spacers (some offcuts of tubing) where to long. Two minutes with a file cured this. I had read on one forum that the R clips used to retain the wheel where loose fitting and had a tendency to get lost, this alleged problem (Windy told me to say that :)) has been cured by using a clip that positively locks in place around the axle.

The second pause for thought was the bolts that hold the legs on, and form the pivot are supplied with three washers and not the four I would have expected and the bolts are not long enough for a fourth. Whilst being picky about the bolts and washers, these are black (japaned?) and are not stainless, I will watch for any signs of rust and replace with stainless if neccessary.

Having assembled it and loaded it up with the kit I would normall take for a day session, it feels very stable, light and easy to push, although the handles feel a little wingy wammy and I think (bearing in mind I know nothing) a brace between the two handles would be a nice addition.

More to follow when I have used it in anger.

Last edited by a moderator:

sagalout

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention, there is a comprehensive spares package (4 spare knobs [very handy :wh], 2 spare wheel pins, spare pair of wheel bearings and 2 pairs of plastic bungs for the ends of the tubes in two sizes.

The tyre was flat, but two ticks with my compressor sorted that.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Porterlite2.

I've had various barrows over the years from a £30 trolley from Argos to a £200 MK4s Deluxe Prestige Carp Porter with many in between (including JRC Barrow, Chub Barrow, Prestige MK2 & MK4s Deluxe)
The barrow i keep coming back to is the Porterlite2. It is simply the lightest, most compact, versatile and reliable barrow on the market.
As with all barrows the underbarrow bag is a godsend in balancing it, but word of caution, the under barrow bag can rub a hole in itself on the wheel (see below).
The front bar extends right out to allow lots of gear to be taken, but the barrow would benefit with some kind of platform to prefent stuff falling through (DIY job at the moment).

Couple pointers & optional extras well worth considering.

The "R" Clips that secure the wheel can come lose. Get a ratchet strap & replace the "R" Clip, lock in place & cut of tag. Wheel will be going nowhere.

The standard under barrow bag will rub on the wheel causing a hole to appear. This is avoided by making sure its fitted as tight as possible. It also helps to have a luggage strap or bungee chord around the barrow bag pulling the material away from the wheel.

Optional straaight handles - Stronger, heavier & offers a better carrying position (imo)

Optional Prestige MK4s Deluxe Barrow Bag - Fits the Porterlite perfectly. Is angled so the wheel doesnt rub and has additional pockets. Perfect for lowering the centre of gravity.

Picture of my Porterlite2 with straight handles, puncture proof tyre & MK4s Deluxe Underbarrow Bag

IMG_5999.jpg

Replace "R" Clip with ratchet strap

IMG_6002.jpg

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
Photos added

These are the spacers that had to be filed

Replacements for the R clips

New fixing in place

A box to replace the free bag, this is a snug fit so needs no straps and is easily lifted in and out at will.

By pure chance my bag fits snug between the rails.

Chair loaded on legs down so it doesn't need strapping

The rod bag is the only thing that needs a strap.

sagalout

Reaction score
Ok, used it for the first time. Brilliant, very easy to push and manoeuvre.

Struggles a bit on the tree roots but I guess that will apply to all barrows and trolleys. I could not have got my old trolley to where I took my barrow yesterday. So a big thumbs up.

I might invest in a rain cover next, although I will look at a cheap tarpaulin first.

magellan

Reaction score
I'm planing on buying the 'Prestige - Carp Porter MK2 Streamline Barrow'. very similar to the model reviewed here, no under bag and the rake of the handles looks less. It's the height of the handles that concerns me as I'm a bit of a short arse, anyone able to give me a clue on how high the ends are off the ground?

Mike

john step

Reaction score
Ok, used it for the first time. Brilliant, very easy to push and manoeuvre.

Struggles a bit on the tree roots but I guess that will apply to all barrows and trolleys. I could not have got my old trolley to where I took my barrow yesterday. So a big thumbs up.

I might invest in a rain cover next, although I will look at a cheap tarpaulin first.

Lout, I dont know how old this post is but I have the cover for my MK2 . I find it fits snugly and is useful for keeping spare clothes and grub dry in the under bag.

sagalout

Reaction score
The post is over seven years old, the clue is in the top left corner of the post :), I am still using the barrow and the original £5 tarp that I bought way back then. The barrow has had no repairs apart from replacing the wheel for a puncture proof one (these things are an absolute bitch to push with a flat tyre).

Sorry I can't help with the Mk2 handles I only have the porterlite, if it helps I am 5 foot 13 inches and I found the original bent up bars to high for me so I bought a set of straight bars. If this had a catastrophic failure, doesn't look like it will, but if it did I would get the same again.

john step

Reaction score
John could you let me know how high the handles are on your mk2, cheers

Mike

The handles at the handle grips are 21 inches high when the barrow is resting in the assembled position. At 21 inches the under bag is not touching the ground.