float storage

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
why is it that floats,specifically wagglers bend and warp??? its not just peacock wagglers that do this,its plastic see through type ones as well.
has it got something to do with the way they are stored??? should they be left loose in a tube,left loose in a float box or held in place in lets say a wooden box with those foam inserts???
what do you reckon???

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Could it be getting them wet, and then taking them home in a warm atmosphere?

As for the plastic type, I would have thought that they would soften and warp in a warm atmosphere.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I should have thought heat or pressure were the culprits. I always keep mine in a tube but not packed too tightly and don't get that problem but I know what you mean.

Peacock will warp but its easy to straighten them if you place them in hot water then apply gentle pressure to straighten. Plastic will do the same but they are prone to splitting so be careful when you apply the pressure.

W

Wolfman Woody

Why worry about it?

A peacock with a nice bend in it is very natural. Doesn't impare it's shot loading or casting abilities, not like it's going to boomerang back at you.

Not had crystal ones bend much, that I can think.

In the match-style box they're all stored in the lid trapped in foam. In my other small box they're just kept loose. I do have some big ones in a tube.

Of all the methods of storage, I prefer the foam as it stops them rattling about and chipping paint off them. Some I've have over 15 years now and they're still perfect.

J

john ledger

Why dont you do what i do Nick and rig them up.90% of my stick floats are rigged even some wagglers.Some extra long wagglers i keep in a tube the more delicate ones i keep flat between foam

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
that is something i am going to try john next year when i start fishing the float a bit more.
i have noticed that the bending problem only occurs with wagglers and not sticks...i suppose this is due to them being made from denser materials???
i would have thought that a curved waggler would give less casting distance and less accuracy than a true straight one???
it may sound a stupid thing but i have always discarded any bent/warped floats.i will have to give the soaking in warm/hot water trick a try in future.

N

NottmDon

Preston used to do some really decent 'float tubes' all my wags and sticks are in these and they protect them a treat.They also fit nicely into most continental type draws. Like a poster above I have some big wags and sliders which I keep in a cut down rod tube.
You can steam wags back to straight but like you Nick if they are bent I dont keep em, must be the tackle tart in me I guess lol.

J

john ledger

Its not just on floats you get a bit of bend Nick but thats another story

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Agreed John, but as stated above, a bit of time in warm, wet places, with just a bit of pressure, usually rectifies the problem :eek:]

J

john ledger

Cheers Merve
Have tried a bovril injection with a bit of starch but alas no luck

N

NottmDon

I see weve reached the level again John lmao ;)

And heres me thinking us carp boys have kettles for steaming shrink tube down.

John Tighe

Reaction score
I have noticed on my winders that they bow shape when I wind my line back on after use and I have learnt not wind it back on tight.
These are the Fox winders that I purchased in the case twin sets.
So after th e line is wet it must tighten when the dry out which may have some bearing on the peacock floats and plastic floats or plastic bending whether the plastic is wet or dry.
Hope this will answer some queries on th e bending issue of floats.
Regards jt.

C

Chris Bishop

I keep my fat ones in my pocket and my long ones in a tube. Never had this bending thing.

W

William Spencer

the problem with peacock,balsa,cane,lignum et al is that they are hygroscopic.in other words they expand and contract in relation to the moisture in the atmosphere.the only time i've had problems with plastics is leaving them in the sun too long does warp them.if you are concerned nick try putting a sachet of silica gel in your storage box/tube,or a dozen or so grains of rice.this will absorb any moisture.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
John Just to vere off the thread slightly.How long do you keep your sticks on winders before changing them as I am sure you will have some made up which dont see the light of day for quite some time I know i have.