Shimano Baitrunner XT FA reel

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Manufacturer says -

Following the massive success last year of the new smaller Baitrunner DL and ST, this year sees the launch of the Baitrunner XT in 2500 and 4000 sizes. Designed for lighter specimen fi shing, the DL combines the Baitrunner free spool facility with a multi-disc front drag for versatile performance over a wide range of methods from predator fishing through to carp.
Possessing many technological features from the top of the range Shimano specimen reels the DL has 4 stainless steel shielded ball bearings and a roller bearing for super smooth, reliable performance. A Cold Forged AR-C spool with Varispeed line lay makes this reel perfect for thin mono and braided lines and offers excellent casting performance every time. With a powerful 4.8:1 retrieve ratio and Zinc Diecast gears, the new Baitrunner DL may be small, but it is a tough reel that can cope with just about everything from large carp and pike to zander and barbel and is perfect for using with lure, strong telescopic and lighter specimen rods.

sam vimes

Reaction score
This reel in 4000 size is essentially the 4000D with a few of the twiddly bits (SR bail arm, single biomechanical handle, sealed stainless bearings and waterproof drag) stripped out. The bonus with the XTFA is that you get a spare spool and the line clip is a decent metal one rather than the nasty plastic blade that Shimano still seem to put on most of their sub 5000 sized reels.
The XT2500FA is exactly the same sized body as the 4000, the rotor, bail arm and spools are smaller. 2500 spools do not fit on a 4000 sized reel.;)

The 4000D is damned nice but I suspect that the XTFA is better value, mainly due to the second spool. I don't feel that there's any real performance loss on the 4000D unless you intend to use the reel in saltwater applications.

Whether the XTFA is worth the extra over the DLFA or STFA will come down to personal taste and the depths of your pockets, I think it is.