My mum wants to start fishing!

Danny Child

Reaction score
Well, as a real bolt from the blue, my mum has said that she'd like to try a day's fishing. She's never done it before, but is pretty practical, and doesn't mind the outdoors. I used to fish as a lad, but that was 20 years ago, and I don't have a clue these days.
I've looked around at some of the options for Red Letter Day type things, and they seem ok, but are pretty expensive (?160) and there's not too much around in Kent - the Medway Towns to be precise.

Anyone got any good ideas for a good introduction for her? I don't think she has a real preference for coarse or fly or even sea - she'd just like to give it a go.

My dad doesn't mind as long as he doesn't have to go along, he just thinks she's a bit mental... Prepared to travel a bit if needs be - say up to a couple of hours.

I was thinking of checking some local fishing clubs as options. Anyone done anything similar?
Thanks in advance,
Danny

E

EC

Take her somewhere which is pleasant surroundings wise, ask around where you will get a few bites from different species.

Try and do some basic float fishing, set up a basic waggler float (no offence intended but ask if you are not sure) plumb the depth (again ask if you are not sure), fish the bait on or just off bottom, and do pretty much what you did 20 years ago, they are still the same fish mate.

Other than the obvious rod and reel etc, make sure you have a rod licence, landing net, hook discorger and forceps.

Ask around the forum or do a search on suitable fisheries/waters, or as you say clubs are a good option, many will also do coaching sessions!

I do have a contact in the kent area who used to run coaching sessions virtually free of charge so drop me an email if you want details (put fishing as the email title).

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'd consider fly-fishing - no yukky bait, no tons of kit to lug, and the best of it is in the balmy weather of May and June. And you (may) get a trout or two to justify the effort. The people at Bewl might be worth an ask?

Micheal Bavister

Reaction score
At this time of year I would suggest lure fishing for pike or perch, look at local canals; most canals have a head of smallish pike and a few perch. When I first took my step dad fishing we started off using spinners up and down the local canal as it's more active than sitting float fishing it's not as boring for someone just starting and not catching anything

E

EC

I personally would steer away from attempting to catch pike unless you are fully equipped with all the neccesary unhooking equipment, and are with someone who is experienced at unhoooking them.

Try a mixed fishery Danny, somewhere with nice scenery, plenty of small fish, and where you'll get loads of bites on simple float methods.

L

Les Clark

Danny ,do you know anybody that fishe`s ,who can come along ,lend your mother some basic kit and put her on a water that she has a good chance of catching small stuff ?
And don`t forget that if she go`s course fishing that she will need a E.A. licence which you can get from your post office and you can get one for a day or week,year but you must buy in advance .

davestocker

Reaction score
I'm mostly with Alan Tyler on flyfishing. But I'd suggest taking her her to a small, commercial put & take trout fishery in early May. Being small, it's easier for a novice to cover fish. Floating lines likely to be in use at this time of year are easier to cast with. Many fisheries have staff who can give basic instruction.

To find an appropriate fishery phone a local tackle shop or two. Or even call Trout Fisherman magazine. They can be very obliging.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Depending when your going i would take her sea fishing from a boat in spring summer. All the tackle can be hired and a good selection of fish can be caught.

If you know somebody who fishes borrow there gear and go to a good comercial water. On these you are all most sure to catch.

Danny Child

Reaction score
Thanks guys there's a lot of good stuff here. I'd already thought of the "find a mate" angle, (pardon the pun....) but have drawn a blank on that.

Bewl Water looks like an option, their website says they do free introductory lessons, and it's pretty local.

good info on the tackle shops and Trout Magazine, I hadn't thought of that. Many thanks for everyone's comments!

L

Les Clark

Danny ,Bewl res is very low on water at the moment ,a all time low ,don`t know if it is fishable or if they will allow fishing at this time ,send them a email asking for information .

Danny Child

Reaction score
Thanks for the update re Bewl. As the fly season is a way off, I'll wait and see about the water levels. I rang them up from the number on their website - http://www.southernwater.co.uk/homeAndLeisure/daysOut/bewlWater/activitiesAtBewl.asp - and spoke to a very helpful lady there who said that they have a new instructor starting shortly, and he may make some changes to their programme, but she's added us to the mailing list. Told me Mum about it and she was over the moon, but if that particular option doesn't pan out, then we go for some of the other options above. Thanks again guys, this forum was a real life-saver.

Danny Child

Reaction score
oh, btw, the introductory day was very reasonably priced, including some fly-tying, casting, a trip to the fish pens and then some time on the bank.