which knot to use to tie a hooklink to the mainline

N

nicholas bray

I tend to use the blood knot to tie my hooklink to my mainline because it's very neat and gives a better presentation than loop to loop but i don't know if it's as strong. has anyone got any views on this

B

BAZ (Woody's twin, the nice one.

Nicholas, or can I call you Santa?

The knot I use for joining mainline to hooklength is as follows -:

Overlap both ends of line by about six inches.

Form a false loop.

Pass both ends of line through the loop four times.

Moisten, and pull tight.

Trim the ends off.

This is a really neat and strong knot, I think it is called the four turn water knot.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

It is that Baz.

Personally I would tend to use a tiny swivel or ring.

N

nicholas bray

Hi Baz, St Nicholas to you please!!

Never thought of using the four turn water knot I usually use that knot for making a paternoster.

I suppose a swivel would be ok for ledgering, but not for float fishing on the drop

colsmiff

Reaction score
St Nick, you can get microswivels that are the weight of a no10 shot, thus you can use it like a dropper shot.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nick,

For trotting with a stick float I have used the loop-to-loop method for years without any problems. I form my loops using a needle and the top of a disgorger to ensure that they are really small.

For waggler work I have used a micro swivel in my rig for about 12 years, but then I tend to have a slightly longer hooklength to compensate.
The micro swivels available are very small and are about the equivalent of a no. 8's or no. 10's shot.

Hope this helps.

N

nicholas bray

I'm interested now, where can you buy these swivels from i haven't noticed them in my local tackle shop, if you tell me i'll make sure your removed from the naughty list and put on the good list

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nick,

My local shop stock them - I think from both Milo and Preston.

Let me know if you cannot obtain them locally and I'll send them to you, but I'd be surprised if a decent sized shop doesn't have them.

N

nicholas bray

Peter

That's very decent of you to offer, but I'll have another look in my local tackle shop i'm sure he could get some if he hasn't got them in stock

Merry Christmas