Lures for Barbel

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a few good lures for Barbel? And if I'm live baiting for them what size trebles should I use?

L

Laurie Harper

A two foot stainless steel pirk with size 4/0 sea trebles should do it...

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

A double iron salmon fly, about a 4/0 with two double hooks would be the thing.

Remember when you set the hook to wait a little so that the barbel gets the first hook well into its throat beyond the pharygeals. The second hook is desiged to impale both barbules. Then you play the fish with its mouth shut and it doesn't fight too hard.

Watch this space for barbel recipes.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Nice one Ron
The barbel lads did well not one took the bait - seriously though not that I'd fish for barbel on lures would they take them?

Ron what about barbel on the fly rod?

R

Seriously Mort I have taken enough of the barbel's cousins in other countries of the world to know that fly fishing for barbel is probably deadly.

Barbel eat vast numbers of nymphs, especially caddis and damselfly nymphs. They probably also take lots of midge pupa.

The best method would be an adaptation of the very popular "Czech Nymphing" style on beefed up tackle, say a 8 weight 10 foot rod with 8lbs leader.

Fish one nymph tied on say a size 10 hook below a strike indicator. Fish upstream and across and when the indicator sinks, hit him.

Have no mistake, a powerful fly rod with a disc drag reel will soon master the biggest barbel. I have caught Vaal River Smallmouth Yellowfish (Barbus holibi) up to 8 lbs on size 12 flies and those fish fight even harder than barbel.

R

Next time you get the chance, have a look at the stomach contents of barbel to see what they have been eating...... :eek:]

Seriously one of the big disadvantages of coarse angling is not knowing what the fish has been eating. In trout fishing I alway spoon the first fish of the day. The stomach contents can tell you quite a story.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
The stomach contents can tell you quite a story.

All the fish I had from Dever were full of Corn (big bright yellow bits) and that does tell a story. Mind you I caught on a Green thingy.

R

I don't think I would want to fish at Dever these days Murray.

N

NottmDon

Most fish will eat other smaller fish, they will all resort to a bit of canabalism if hungry enough. Seems your lure didnt attract a bite in this thread though lol,post it later at night when one or two have had a skinful it may prove more fruitful.
Incidently I read an article a few days back that stated a huge catfish was once caught and it contained a partialy digested human body inside it. Apparently they eat only dead people,I had rather hoped it was one of those yanks who insist on catching them with their hands lol. Now thats what you call a thread change lmao.

R

I just might try it on the Trent next summer Grimmer!

B

Big Rik

A friends PB barbel from the Stour of 11lbs was caught on a dead sprat whilst piking one winter.

So yes, they'll eat anything.

R

Yes they sure will.

One of the largest barbel ever recorded from the Trent in the 19th century took a lampern on a night line. It weighed 17 lbs

J

John Huntley

Can any one suggest where you can get a barbel gaff from. have the BS a special spec for one?

R

Best place to gaff a barbel is just above the dorsal fin.

Bring it in and clobber the barbel with a heavy priest. (The Monk will do)

The story that barbel are poisonous is a load of codswallop. Barbel can be filleted very well, and fried using olive oil with shallots and mace, make a wonderful dish.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I heard it was the equivalent of eating cotton wool with the added attraction of a mouthful of needles.

Ron, would nymphing entail wading and presenting the lure to the fish on a short line.This would mean it could only be used in certain swims on certain rivers so I can only ever see it being used on limited occasions.