bargain hunt gone wrong

nicky

Reaction score
Just bought 6 reels of low stretch line of various breaking strains from ebay at a bargain price should have know it was too good to be true.

The line in question was being sold as ultima pro match.

When i received it i thought it looked thick and springy and suspected something wasnt right on closer inspection i noticed it had one label stuck ontop of another when i peeled back the top layer i found another label with decennium power on.

The seller had an almost perfect rating 99.9% and the few complaints they had received were minor issues.

Just emailed the buyer and waiting a response it was only a few quid so not the end of the world but am still pushing for a refund.

Also bought a bulk spool of ultima xtra 3lb (600m) from a different seller that looks fine to me.

nicky

Reaction score
has any one heard of deccenium power line i have just had a response from the seller who said they are sorry to hear that im dissapointed with the line but assure me it is from ultima im just the first person to point out that there's another label underneath.
im wondering could it be a reel line rather than hooklink material or more than likely being conned.
they want me to return it to get a refund

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Can't find "pro match" in their current product list. Did it look like this ? -
b1_304.jpg

Take a close look at the label, does it look like it's been printed by an inkjet rather than professionally done at a printers? Wet a cloth and hold it on the label for a minute or so and then wipe, does it smudge?

I found some "Rapala" lures once and bought one just to expose a scam - They were all fakes! Cheapo lures put in plastic boxes (Rapala always use a cardboard box with a plastic lid) with a small badly printed label on top. Look through a magnifying glass and you could see the individual pixels. I reported it and got the guy banned and even when other tried, I got them all removed.

PS: I'm playing safe now, my daughter's bringing me some Crappie line from the USA tomorrow!

Last edited:

nicky

Reaction score
Merv thats not the same seller but the label on that spool does look like the hidden label on my line.

Jeff that line look like mine same label etc except that if you look closely the picture you listed looks like it has a barcode and line diameter in the white box mine doesnt list diameter or have a barcode just strength and how much is on the spool.

The labels do look like they have been professionally made not done on an inkjet

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:03 ----------

The are adament that it was supplied by ultima and it must have been ultima that relabelled it, and if i want there details i can take it up with them.

They have even offered to refund my return postage after i kicked up a fuss.

Not sure what is going on if i had any confidence in it i would use it as a reel line instead of for hooklinks

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Nicky, if you're not satisfied

1. Return the line

2. Report them to Ebay

If the line has been re-labelled it's their problem not yours. I can't see Ultima just sticking a new label over an old one.