Richard Walker at Wikipedia

Reaction score
I just read the Wikipedia article on Richard Walker (Richard Walker (angler) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It was just a few lines long, a mere stub, and not a single photo. Isn't this a job for certain FM members? Writing a decent article for Wikipedia about Walker and his times and ways, and what he brought to british angling? And while they are at it, why don't write good articles about other important anglers too? Wikipedia is an important source of information for a lot of people. We can do better than this.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any FM members who have lived in South Africa, been instrumental in the genesis of modern British specimen angling through the formation of the Northern Specimen Group, or who knew **** personally who would be able to sort this travesty out... :)

(C'mon Ron, Harvey's right; this needs addressing! And while you're at it; didn't you fish with Tag Barnes too?)

It's very sad that Barrie is no longer with us; his biography of Walker was superb and he would have sorted this major internet gap in a trice!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think Barrie was partly responsible for the Wikipedia piece on **** which he completed before he died.

I hope you're writing a book Ron; I'd love to hear tales of the proper pioneers of modern angling... And I'm looking forward to reading about the SA take on carping some time soon? :)

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
I hope you're writing a book Ron; I'd love to hear tales of the proper pioneers of modern angling... And I'm looking forward to reading about the SA take on carping some time soon? :)

****y,

One of the reasons for my tour of duty in South Africa, Australia and New Zealand is to pick up final material for the completion of my book. As you say there are accounts which need relating, not so much of what I have done, but of what a lot of my old friends have done.

Have a look at the latest issue of Angler's Mail. In it you will see an account of how "Feeder Fishing" has become a technique where top international anglers will compete with each other. Many think that it was us who invented the feeder. Possibly, but only the maggot feeder. The "Method" feeder was devised by South Africans up to 100 years ago. I aim to prove that.

It will be interesting to see how feeder fishing will develop. No doubt some of the techniques used will be of interest to big fish anglers generally.

---------- Post added at 02:25 ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 ----------

Oh yes, I fished with Tag Barnes a great deal, he was in my specimen group and he introduced me to **** Walker. I was at Tag's funeral, over 300 people were there.

Philip

Reaction score
The "Method" feeder was devised by South Africans up to 100 years ago. I aim to prove that.

Well if you do then I suggest you extend your research to include beyond S Africa because I have a feeling that the art of moulding free bait round something close to your hook before you cast out was already happening somewere else before the S Africans started doing it...

dezza

Reaction score
Well if you do then I suggest you extend your research to include beyond S Africa because I have a feeling that the art of moulding free bait round something close to your hook before you cast out was already happening somewere else before the S Africans started doing it...

Probably the Dutch, but I don't mean to be dogmatic about it.

But it will be interesting to attempt to find out.

dezza

Reaction score
It's interesting Harvey that books and articles written by British authors tend to get read more by European anglers than anglers in this country.

For example, the German magazine "Blinker", is very popular due in some cases to the amount of English writers who contribute to it.

George387

Reaction score
Since this thread suddenly seems to be about something else, I would just remark that it's your angling history. If you don't find it important or interesting enough to be properly presented to a wider audience, nobody else will.

Apologies Harvey and the other posters of this thread, Its the only way I can get Mr Wintle's attention as he wont answer PM's or a question for which he slandered me on open forum, he was good enough to slander me but not good enough to answer my question...you can see why Im trying to get an answer..next step will be more serious!
once again my apologies to the thread.

mark halsey

Reaction score
Apologies Harvey and the other posters of this thread, Its the only way I can get Mr Wintle's attention as he wont answer PM's or a question for which he slandered me on open forum, he was good enough to slander me but not good enough to answer my question...you can see why Im trying to get an answer..next step will be more serious!
once again my apologies to the thread.

Slander is effected by the spoken word, libel is via writing/print/published.

Small point of order.

Mark

George387

Reaction score
Write to him as Professor Bummblebee, poor lad has schizophrenia! :D :D

Dont want to highjack the thread but it seems he has a problem answering emails or Pm's from any floatmakers he slated, as 2 others, one of which is well reputed has been in contact with me over exact same situations, so it seems Im on a loosing battle as they got no reply either even after threatening with solictor intervention.

Thanks mark :)