Ignorance about

Disco stu

Reaction score
happy xmas dudes,
partner has bought me a shakespeare golden eagle centre pin as a prezzie, looks ok but what is the little lever in the middle do? it doesnt do anything that i can see.

K

Keith Orange

Many CP reels have a lever in the centre of the drum which lets you remove the drum from the fixed backing plate and spindle, so you can clean and oil the interior.

The lever on the backing plate is usually to switch the ratchet on and off.

Disco stu

Reaction score
cheers keith as you say the lever les me remove the drum, it is a bit of a cow because it doesnt have a ratchet so how do i ledger or use a landing net. i darent tell her its no good, i will just have to keep it in my bag

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It should have a rachet - a rather unhelpfully dome-shaped slider on the back-plate just above the nut securing the pin.
If it hasn't, legering isn't going to be too special - but possible, with a rubber band looped over the butt to hold one handle - but landing-netting is always just a matter of clamping the drum with the thumb of your rod-hand. Your thumb will soon learn how to give line when a good'un makes a last lunge.

Disco stu

Reaction score
cheers alan, have located ratchet, but drum still spins both ways unable to lock it to only reel in like on a fixed spool reel

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Very few 'pins lock up completely, but the rachet should suffice for its main use - moving from swim to swim.

By the way - and this goes in spades if you're useing a cane rod- never use the rachet to provide tension when pulling on the line at an angle close to the rod - you end up with a shorter rod.ALWAYS the thumb. Feel my pain? It's real...

Once you've got a sense of what is realistic to ask of a 'pin, they add so much fun to your fishing... Enjoy!!

Disco stu

Reaction score
cheers for all the help lads, i have managed to adjust the ratchet so it is tight enough not to let line out easily, disco stu is now hot to trot!!!!!!

M

madpiker

i always thought that a centrepin should spin and let out line easily when trotting a float mate!
no offence meant,but i would ask an experienced centrepin user to show you how to use it to its full potential.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Stu
you said "drum still spins both ways unable to lock it to only reel in like on a fixed spool reel"

It's not supposed to lock ......

It should be free running enough to let the current pull line off the reel

Disco stu

Reaction score
no madpiker and ed, it spins freely enough but when i put the ratchet on i have adjusted it so i can transport the set up rod without line coming off spool and tangling, still hot to trot except it is snowing here. cheers for the help

K

Keith Orange

Some of the older centre pins have an adjustable brake mechanism in the axle of the drum. It's not a ratchet, it's a fork shaped piece of metal which pushes against the spindle if you turn a nut on the drum. The fork applies light pressure to the spindle and slows down the drum. The idea is that it helps to slow down the float as it trots downstream. I've never found it much use.

M

madpiker

ihope that you enjoy using it and have some good catches mate.
i was given an old jw young centre pin a while back.i haven`t used it yet,but come next june,i`ll be using it for stick float fishing.
too busy trying to catch pike,cod and whiting at present(and failing miserably over christmas!!!)to go roach fishing.

michael parkin

Reaction score
i have a strike right centre pin it has a knurled nut for drag (on the front)
and alarge nut on the back(brass) am reluctant to give this any welly .so how do you get in it to clean it?
the reel is light grey backplate is dk grey any hel would be appreciated thanks