carp rigs and bull!

R

Rob Brownfield

Being so far removed from the Carp scene, I have the advantage of stepping back and looking at rigs etc with an open mind.

One rig that has caught my eye recently is the one being banded about just now where there is a tiny ring attached to the hair and then slipped over the point of the hook. (Nashy recommends it a lot)

The theory is that when a fish blows back a bait, the ring travels down the hook to the eye, so helping the hook point dig in a bit.

get real...as soon as the carp ejects the bait, it all comes out in a rush of water.

Take a large syringe and cut off the bottom. Now, get a bowl of water and drop in a baited rig. Suck up the bait with the syringe and then blow it out again...watch what happens. I think u will be supprised.

(expecting some flake for this...lol)

P

Philip Inzani

No flak, I agree. Same thing applies for anyone using a sliding D ring with a braided hooklength. Theory is that when the fish trys to blow the bait out the ring slides along the D....fact is that the braid is going to strighten out way before the ring start to slide.

Yes they catch fish but in most cases NOT for the reasons that people think.

R

Rob Brownfield

Thanx Philip.

Another one that has me howling with laughter is where a length of tubing is used...usually stiff...with a large free flow ring running over it...attached to the lead. Theory is it carp can take the bait with no resistance as the tubing will slide through the large ring. Poop! The only way a fish feels no resistance is if it runs straight away from the angler...how likely is that?

As you say, they catch fish...but not for the generally accepted reasons.

Frank Warwick...a great angler...seems to come up with rigs that, on analysis, seems to restrict the amount of fish caught!!! Seems really strange!!

P

Paul Williams

Now listen here you pair, let the "top" guns get on with it and the sheep follow, that way us low lifes can go out and catch carp on simple tactics as and when we please........why next you will be telling all and sundry that maggots catch carp!!! TUH! ;o)

R

Ray Bewick

Paul- good god man, you'll be suggesting using 'ordinary' nylon line next?. Mind you perhaps Rob could call it 'carp snatcher' and build a chain of decent Angling shops to 'service' his compatriots and visiting 'foreigners' on the profits!.

By the way Rob, i'm still dreaming of the big wildies you alluded to, any chance of a thread on your experiences?.

P

Peter Morton

Did someone mention maggots?.......Don't tell me i have been using "carp" bait all these years!!!!!!!!.......Next you'll be telling me i've been fishing over a bed of "particles" instead of cupping in pellets and corn........LOL

M

Malcolm Bason

Hi Rob. QUOTE: - "One rig that has caught my eye recently is the one being banded about just now where there is a tiny ring attached to the hair and then slipped over the point of the hook. (Nashy recommends it a lot)"

I admit to using this method, I cut a very thin slice of silicon tubing that fits quite tight on the hook, but I do so because it presents the hair better - if you see what I mean? Also when tying the knotless knot and especially when using the likes of snakebite with the last couple of inches or so stripped back, it saves windas far along the hook - just haf dozen or so winds is enough.

It also means that when a carp has been mouthing the bait but not necessarily taken it - this normally means the silicon slides up the hook and acts a visible sign of getting interest in the bait. How often in the night do we get single beeps and so on without knowing if it is really a bite or not?

Regards, Malc.

R

Rob Brownfield

Malcolm...I use it too..but it makes me laugh that people honestly believe that everything is "clinical" and works the way it should.

As for articles on Wildies...I can do that..just need to get some pics from my mate.

D

David Will

I still use the same rig I used in the middle 80's.It is a simple through the eye hair rig, mono hooklength , lead to fit distance wind etc on a running rig .No tubing , no lead core. I still catch Carp. I am not trying to be clever it is just that I became increasingly confused by the claims of experts.In the Carp mags every month you see another rig.I feel for kids coming into the sport they must be totally confused. Rigs sell books and mags it seems.

R

Rob Brownfield

David...agree with u there...must be a mine field for most carpers.

Having witnessed some horrendous rigs tied by experience anglers, I am supprised carp are actually ever caught..lol

M

Mike Fidler

Rob, I do take your origional point that the rig is fiddley and uncessary for ordinary carp. However a couple of years ago the carp I was fishing for suddenly developed a tendency to pick up a bait and then eject it hard. Visible signs of this were a single bleep and sometimes violent shaking of the tip.....and you knew the fish had gone. I then read up about this rig and tried it out myself. I had further good results until the carp wised up again. I must admit it was a very pressured water with very spooky fish.