Where do all the small fish go when it gets cold?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I fish the Bristol Avon, it is 13 feet deep and generally slow flowing.
In the summer you can't get through the bleak and dace, so where do they go?
Do they simply stop feeding as their metabolism slows down and hug the bottom, or find an under-cut bank to hide in?

Any ideas?

T

The Monk

I`ve dragged weedbeds in winter and found loads of small fish

F

Fred Bonney

Not strictly on thread,but hey.
I captured my first rod and line caught Bullhead yesterday,in the snow.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Fred,

I had my first bullhead for many years last week; wondered what the little brown thing was for a moment!

M

mark williams 4

Bullhead's a good indicator of high water quality, so sounds like you can look forward to some good fishing in the future, Mark

B

Big Rik

bloody Avon is full of 'em, always catch quite a few in the winter at Fordingbridge when on the feeder.

E

EC

I reckon they might shoal up really tight, with whole stretches become almost devoid of small fish.

J

john ledger

Get down to lower Idle DB,all the small roach migrate down there this time of year its full of em

K

Keith Orange

Dog Biscuit, I've often asked myself the same question.

They're still around, it's just that as the temperature falls, their metabolic rate falls (as you mentioned) and they don't need to eat as much as in summer.

T

The Monk

ahh, the old Millers Thumb, lovely little fish Fred, well done mate, used to catch them as a grotty little short panted school boy, not seen one for years?

F

Fred Bonney

Same with me Monk,paddling the streams of Essex,just them and loach.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
I found myself watching a certain mr Ledger fishing on xmas eve and now i know where all the lovely little and not so little dace migrate to at this time of year. all the best from mick.