Knotless Knot Challenge

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
As it's too Bl***y cold to go out and enjoy it here's a challenge.

Dig out a reel with 8, 10, 12 lb line, a size 6, 8 eyed hook.

The challenge is to attach a hook to the end of the line without cutting the line i.e. as if you were freelining with just a hook attcahed to the end. The little loop for the boilie can be done once the hook is tied. (No, you can't thread the reel through the eye of the hook!)

It can be done cos I've just managed it in two minutes.

F

Fred Bonney

I'll have ago,but I can't even tie the little loop!!!!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
That's how I used to do it before I discovered the knot-less knot.
A baiting needle helps!
But I can't beat two minutes.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Alan,

No, the knotless knot where you usually end up threading the hooklink back through the eye. To do this challenge you have to somehow tie the knot in reverse!

While you lot figure it out I'm trying to remember how to operate an old 386 PC with Windows 3.1 to retrieve a database with all my match results on it - I think it's all coming back. The amazing part is the speed that the PC runs a DataEase DB on 1Mb of RAM - so fast compared to our overblown software of today, even though now got 500 Mb of RAM.

T

tom riordan

feed the line through the hookeye, then start your turns up from the bend towards the eye, but make sure you have a loop of spare line whipped in, same as you would when whipping a ring onto your rod. When you reach the top snip the spare line of to within an inch or so, feed tag into the loop and pull loop through your whipping, snug everything up, tie your hair loop and away you go.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Tie the knot-less knot back to front and it will eventually come undone!

Iv'e tried it!

R

Rodney Wrestt

I used to do this with spade end hooks before I got a hook tyer, it was a barrel knot (I think?) the tag could have a loop attached.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Tom, I think Mark means to use the same line for the hair loop, so your cheating :-]
I used to do it as Rod described, but it's hard to get the desired length of line on the hair, a bit of rig tube on the shank helps.

W

Wolfman Woody

Can't you tell the days when young Wintle gets bored?

Have a word with Prof Bumblebee, he'll know.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Woody,

I've kept them entertained all afternoon on a totally pointless exercise. I'd rather be fishing of course.

It is possible if you use a piece of rig tube/drinking straw alongside the shank of the hook when tying the hook and thread the bit that will have the loop back through the tube/straw; totally pointless of course but challenging. DB wins.

Tomorrow's challenge: TBA

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

"totally pointless of course"

Which is why I didn't take part in this thread till now.

tony70

Reaction score
i cut a length of hook length then tie a small loop thread it through the eye of the hook wind it around about 6 times and back through the eye attach a swivel to it then on to main line

Matty C

Reaction score
does it count if you were to take all of the line off the reel, make a knotless knot n then put all the line back on the reel ?

still end up with a straight through line with a hair on the end..

Think itll be cheatin though.. and somewhat longwinded

lol

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Easy peasy, look! Through there round there and keep going, down through there, under there, take this bit put over there and through there and just pull it tight. Easy peasy like I said.

Next!