In tribute to Matt Hayes

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I read recently that Matt Hayes didn't think he had done any TV to be proud of.

I thought that was terribly sad.

Whilst the early programmes of Total Fishing might have been a bit ametuerish and 'Laddy', they are surely good TV when we had little else apart from Go Fishing.
I will say right here and now, that if it wasn't for Matt Hayes I probably wouldn't be an angler now. Nobody in my family fished and each time I took up the sport it went all wrong, I blanked and gave it up again. This was the story for over 40 years.

Then I moved to the countryside and saw an episode of Total Fishing. Something gelled, made a bit of sense to me, I gave it one more try with a 1970's 'glass rod.....and I caught fish.

I still watch those endless repeats on Discovery and I still get pleasure from them, still find myself reminded of a little 'wrinkle' that I had forgotten that actually works.

Don't be so hard on yourself Matt !

There's one angler here who knows the debt he owes you and whilst I have never met you ( and I would like to shake your hand and thank you personally one day ) I know a few people who have and you are clearly a credit to our past-time and you should be proud of your 'back catalogue'.

Thanks Matt.

(here's hoping he gets to read his one day)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
In agree, I've never met the guy but he comes over well on TV and I don't think he deserves the criticism he gets on some of the forums.

richiekelly

Reaction score
i was once asked to move from the swim i was in on an oxford gravel pit where filming was taking place,my answer ended in off!

mol

Reaction score
I've herd lots of stories about named anglers antics where filming and fishing for magazine articles is concerned. From 'buying' fish that other anglers have caught so they can have photos taken with them to having indentical set ups in every swim so they can fish all the swims on a lake and claim they only have 2 rods.

Personally I don't really care. I'm also a self taught angler, I learnt how to fish mainly from John wilsons writings and TV programs. I owe these anglers a debt as without them I wouldn't have had the hours of pleasure I've had from angling. I don't really care if they've pulled the odd stroke, with the pressure of filming and a deadline I'm sure most would

kevin o connor

Reaction score
I had never done much coarse fishing before I watched Matt Hayes on the telly. I can honestly say he gave me an appetite for it, as watching him was easy to do. He always gave the impression that he was just one of the lads, someone you could meet in the local and have a chat with. With regard to pulling strokes, of course he did, he had to,in order to make good television.
The fact that every coarse angler in Britain and Ireland has heard of him and has an opinion of him, says it all. My opinion, for what it is worth is, he tried to simplify coarse angling for the noddies like me and for that, I will always be grateful to him. I would love to meet the man and shake his hand. :w:)

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Charlatans the lot of them. I'd watched the Matt Hayes, John Wilson, and Martin Bowler programmes several times, and thought to myself that something was odd and amiss.... but when I was recently fishing a 'well known' stillwater, I heard voices in the bushes, I went to investigate, and believe it or believe it not, the three mentioned, Hayes/Wilson/Bowler were huddled together, watching me and the methods/baiting I was using, and all three were taking copious notes.
When I challenged them, John Wilson tried to laugh it off, in actual fact I lost count of the number of times he tried to laugh it off, it turned out they've been following me for years taking notes and then using MY methods in THEIR programmes, just goes to show eh !!!

Disclaimer : Certain parts of the above may not be true.

bleak

Reaction score
I used to love watching Out of Town with Jack Hargreaves, I was may be 8 years old at the time,I even knew the words to the nice little intro. Then someone told me that the fish he caught were put on his hook by a diver! After that I was always on the lookout for a trail of bubbles near his line. Yeah my dad new which buttons to push with me..................say what you willlllll

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Ha, ha, ha. ha, he, he, he, he. Well will you look at that, Ha, ha, ha, he, he.
A great character and good presenter.

What a stonker, (let's now pose for the camera) me ole mate.
Again a good presenter.
Both say why they are fishing a particular method and why they are fishing a particular spot. Well some of the time.

Not sure about Mr Bowler, great camera work by Hugh Miles and he does catch some very good fish. Inspiring? The scenary and fish but as a presenter, no go. Bernard Gribbins any day.

Why some people slate them I don't know. As long as people get something from them, then it's good tv.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I think Matt Hayes is part of angling folklore....and deservedly so!

Certainly I learnt much from him around match fishing and his various floats and shotting arrangements worked well..
I don't know about his TV work so I cannot comment but I cannot think of many who have done great TV that will be remembered.Passion for Angling was a one-off never to be repeated and examples by Wilson et al,whilst being enjoyable viewing,are hardly works of art!

You are remembered by many Mr Hayes..............or was that Isaac and not Matt??

chav professor

Reaction score
Not a fan of Matts TV stuff and might even agree with him - but a debt of gratitude? MOST DEFINATELY YES!!!!!

I largely owe Matt a big thanks for sparking the interest in Chub. I read an article on fishing small streams in Angling Times by M Hayes. it reminded me of my own river, and slave like at first I copied his guidance and was rewarded with a glancing moment with the biggest chub i had ever seen to that point! (on reflection around 4lb in weight). Sadly I lost the fish in weed - amazed that a fish could effectively 'unhook' itself. Matts entusiastic article brought to my attention that Chub of a proper 'specimen' type size were actually in my river!!

I did love the TV episodes Matt did with Peter Stone, Trefor West and Tony Miles - do you see a theme here?

Could do without electric guitar solo's during the landing of fish. on reflection, Matt amerteurish? No No No - just poor editorial/budjet production.

Matt Hayes is a star, not a legend............ But i love 'im:j

dannytaylor

Reaction score
I enjoy Matt Hayes stuff. Hes caught some very nice fish for the camera, which is probably much harder than it looks, all the slaters out there want to give it a go :wh

Theres a great episode of (i think it was mainstream) where he stalks and catches a big Roach from a tiny stream great stuff, and that big Rudd he gets from horseshoe, magic :)

Used to enjoy his column in AT. I suppose, love him or hate him, he will be remembered as one of the modern day greats of angling.

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

Has he given up angling or died :D reads like an obituary this LOL.

mark halsey

Reaction score
Yes his programmes are reasonable, BUT....................................................

Why has he not sorted that blinking tooth out yet?

;)

Mark

maddyt

Reaction score
I can honestly say that Matt Hayes is the man that got me hooked on coarse fishing. His passion for fishing is infectious and I've enjoyed watching many of his shows. His laid back approach and tutorials especially helped me get started. I'm sure I'm not the only person who shares this opinion and surely anyone who promotes fishing in such a way is valuable to introducing the next generation of anglers to keep to sport going. Thanks Matt!

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
All the shows with him and mick brown are good, but agree the earlier stuff is dross and the forced comedy wasnt funny and the guitar solos with every fish too much. But the great rod race remains a great series several years on. It could have been done in about 3 venues but that wasnt the point and it had never been before. Thats a gold star on its own. More to point they are easy to watch. Bit of banter, not too over the top, just two blokes fishing and enjoying each others company, on a variety of waters.

Wilson was OK, but his shorts were far too tiny and his laugh too loud. Also a bit, well, rude I suppose to his man servants whilst fishing abroard.

chris_fox

Reaction score
He is a great guy and a real angler. There is nothing he hasn't thrown his love of fishing at. As an angler I am not after some smooth presenter ......... well I suppose there is Bob Nudd who is an absolute natural.

Look at Mick Brown, not exactly presenter of the year. But the Rod and Greater Rod race are fantastic fun .......... not least because they try every method at it.

Personally I'd love to spend a day or a weekend fishing with Matt ........ whether it was on a pond in the Black Country or a big Salmon river in Norway where his latest wife comes from.