wildies

catman

Reaction score
i have access to a small, shallow private stillwater. i think that they may be wildies. they have been there for a very long time, they average at about 4lbs and they are streamlined. there is a mix of commons and mirrors. is there a way of telling whether or not they are wildies?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
It has been debated in the past (not necessarily on FM) whether "wildies" exist as such. People with a great deal of experience in this have been unable to prove that such a variety exits. There have been waters that have held carp for hundreds of years where all the carp are small, lean and fully scaled, usually with a maximum size of about 12 - 14lbs, and these are usually described as wildies. But mostly carp that are lean and small, possibly stunted, are the result of a more modern stocking often given away by the presence of mirror carp.

It boils down to opinion rather than scientific test on whether you call your fish wildies. I have traced a carp population in Dorset that originated from one stocking in 1957 and then spread through a number of waters; possibly an old variety as they seldom exceeded 14lbs and were always (almost) fully scaled. Whether you'd call them wildies I just don't know.